WHO Raises Fresh Concern Over Ebola Spread

19608

The Ebola outbreak in Congo may have taken a new turn as the World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared that it  poses a greater danger to the Central African country and the region than previously assumed.

The recent confirmation of a case in Mbandaka, a large city that straddles national and international transport routes, had increased the risk of the virus spreading further, the UN health agency said on Friday in Geneva.

READ ALSO:   Ethiopia Accuses WHO Boss Of Backing Dissident-Tigray Region

“WHO has, therefore, revised the assessment of public health risk to very high at the national level and high at the regional level,’’ it said in a statement.

The global significance of this outbreak that has killed 14 people, so far is being discussed at a WHO emergency meeting and will be announced later on Friday.
The WHO has previously said that the chance of a global outbreak is low.

READ ALSO:   FG To Pay N1bn To Manufacturers Of Seized Codeine

In Congo, the Health Ministry announced that the number of confirmed Ebola cases in the country have risen from three to 14.

“In total since the start of the epidemic, there have been 45 cases of haemorrhagic fever, including 10 suspected cases, 21 probable cases and 14 confirmed cases,’’ the ministry said late Thursday.

READ ALSO:   Covid-19: WHO Backs Clinical Trials Of Madagascar’s Herbal Cure

While one person was confirmed dead from the virus, 25 people are suspected to have died from it, the ministry said.

One of the most contagious viral diseases known, Ebola’s symptoms are extraordinarily painful and include severe vomiting, diarrhoea, fever, impaired kidney and liver function as well as internal and external bleeding.

READ ALSO:   The New Diplomat Says Protect Yourself, Keep Safe and Stay Informed

The UN and aid organisations are racing to prevent the recurrence of an outbreak like in 2014, when 11,000 people died in the West African epidemic that was centred in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

The executive of the EU on Friday announced the release of 1.6 million euros (1.9 million dollars) to help tackle the outbreak, with most of the money going to the WHO to provide logistics support.

Subscribe to Our VIP Newsletter

Previous articleRoyal Wedding: Prince Charles Steps In For Markle’s Dad
Next articleFA Cup Final: Win or Lose I ‘ll Leave Chelsea As “A Hero” – Conte
Avatar

The New Diplomat stands for ethical journalism, press freedom, accountable republic, and gender-equity. That is why at The New Diplomat, we are committed to speaking truth to power, fostering a robust community of responsible journalism, and using high quality polls, data, and surveys to engage the public with compelling narratives about political, business, socio-economic, environmental, and situational dynamics in Nigeria, Africa, and globally. From our insightful reports of political issues to our riveting investigations and analyses of business, socio-economic, and cross-cutting sectors, The New Diplomat remains ever committed to investigative reporting and ethical journalism. Support and partner with The New Diplomat today, to guarantee a positive future for all under an atmosphere of free press!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here