- Says 80% Of Bandits Have Fled State
- To Restore Telecommunication Services Next Week
As the military intensifies onslaught against bandits unleashing terror in Zamfara, the state government said it has arrested no fewer than 2,000 bandits’ informants as well as their food suppliers, The New Diplomat reports.
The Zamfara State Commissioner for Information, Ibrahim Dosara revealed this impressive development just as he informed that “among the informants, currently giving out vital information on bandits modus of operandi, were some highly placed people in the society”.
Following the ongoing military crackdown on bandits in the state, Dosara said “no fewer than 80% of bandits had fled the state” with the remaining 20% of them (bandits) resorting to feeding on raw millets and okro” as their food suppliers chain had been cut off.
Speaking further, the Commissioner said from all indications, “banditry had been seriously degraded in the state as a result of the heavy military bombardment of the bandits who had over the years terrorized the good citizens of the state”.
Dosara spoke in an interactive session with newsmen in Kaduna, Saturday, where he expressed government’s concern over the hardship being experienced by the citizens since the commencement of the military onslaught on bandits a month ago.
“The state government would before the end of week, restore telecommunication services shutdown in the wake of the military operations in the state”, he assured.
In appreciation, he disclosed that the state government has provided palliatives to the people of the state as according to him, “another success we recorded is the support we received from the people of Zamfara State.”
Pointing out that the bandits had perfected the use of carmels to perpetrate violence in the state, the Commissioner said: “I am happy to announce that after a month, we have greatly succeeded in many areas. One of the success is making the bandits flee Zamfara State for fear of being killed.
“Just yesterday, the Sokoto Commissioner of Security said 80 per cent have fled to Sokoto, with only 20 per cent in Zamfara and Katsina.
“Over 2,000 informants arrested and are now providing vital information on how they relate with the bandits and who supports them, including highly placed individuals.
“We were also successful in the operation in the sense that many bandits have been neutralized by the military.
“Most of them are forced to eat raw food like millet, okro as they have been cut off from their collaborators in town. They have settled to using camels to perpetrate violence.
“The people supported and prayed for the government to succeed. It is in view of that, the governmnt decided to present relief items to the people. Government considering to open up mobile network services in the state capital this week” he stated.