Tragedy struck in the University Town of Abraka, Delta State on New Year Day when a woman, Mrs. Ame Onyelo, suffered serious burns following an explosion from a camp gas which she was using to cook.
Reports from Oasis Magazine confirmed that the lady, who was a laboratory technician in Government Hospital, Abraka in Ethiope East Local Government Area, was cooking with the camp gas in her home when it exploded inflicting on her 95% burns.
The victim was reportedly rushed to the Government Hospital in Abraka from where she was referred to the Central Hospital, Warri. She was however again referred to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin City, where she died on Monday, 3 January, 2022.
Sources from the Government Hospital, Abraka, where she was working as a Laboratory Technician, expressed sadness over the incident, noting that her death has created a vacuum in the management of the health facility.
Speaking with The New Diplomat on the possible cause of such gas cylinder explosion, a popular gas dealer in Warri, Mr. Joseph Boboyi, noted said that the recent hike in the price of gas has attracted quacks who used every unconventional means of filling gas cylinders, adding that most of the quacks do not even test the integrity of the cylinders they fill with gas.
He advised users to take extra precaution in placing their cylinders in safe distance from where they are put to use, pointing out that it is also very important to keep cylinders away from heat and pressure from other sources.
It would be recalled that an explosion occurred in a gas explosion in Agbor, Delta State sometime last year which claimed many lives, including damage to several property in the town.
All efforts to get the reaction of the management of the Government Hospital, Abraka, has so far been unsuccessful.