Ekweremadu’s Alleged Organ Harvesting Saga: New Twist Surfaces [Document] 

148279
Ekweremadu’s Alleged Organ Harvesting Saga: Ebonyi Govt Weighs In, Reaches Out To Kidney Donor's Family

A new twist has emerged in the ongoing organ harvesting saga surrounding former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu and his wife, Beatrice after a letter from him to the Visa Section of the British High Commission backing the travel application of the boy for organ transplant came to light.

In the letter dated December 28, 2021, and sighted by The New Diplomat, Ekweremadu had written to The British High Commission that the ‘boy’ identified as Mr Ukpo Nwamini David was travelling to donate a kidney to Ms Sonia Ekweremadu, his daughter who was down with kidney failure and needed a kidney transplant to stay alive.

READ ALSO:   Lagos Church Invites Davido For Thanksgiving Service On Valentine’s Day

The letter said the medical investigation would be at Royal Free Hospital, London and that he, Ekweremadu would be providing the funding.

“I am writing in support of the visa application made by Mr Ukpo Nwamini David who is currently having a medical investigation for a kidney donation to Ms Sonia Ekweremadu.

David and Sonia will be at the Royal Free Hospital London, and I will be providing the necessary funding. I have enclosed a statement of my bank account.

Please, do not hesitate to contact me if you require additional information.

Please, accept the assurances of my highest regards” the letter reads.

READ ALSO:   Wellington Okrika: Present Crop Of N'Delta Governors ill-informed On 13% Derivation Fund

It was gathered that all the arrangements had been tied up with the boy’s family but that things went awry when after arriving in the United Kingdom it was discovered that the boy whose age was given as 21 didn’t want to return to Nigeria as had been bargained.

It was gathered that the boy on the encouragement of a relative reported to the police that he had been trafficked to the United Kingdom for organ harvesting. He gave his age as less than 21.

Also, one Ikem Okuhu who came to the defence of Ekweremadu on Facebook gave the perspective of the Ekweremadus on the organ harvesting saga.

READ ALSO:   PDP Primaries: Reactions As Banky W Insists On Victory As Reps' Opponent Lays Claim To Result

Okuhu said: “He (Ike) has a daughter who needs a kidney transplant and a willing donor was seen in Nigeria and travel preparations were made.

“Ike Ekweremadu did write to the British High Commission, explaining the situation and the donor travelled to the UK with the patient.

“The donor is a 21-year-old man and not a girl as many are writing.

“He is not a minor and as it happened, the organ did not even match.”

“Not wanting to return to Nigeria, the donor went to report that he was trafficked to London for possible organ harvest, believing the same would guarantee him asylum.”

READ ALSO:   China Has Something To Hide On Covid-19’s Origin, US Insists

The account from Okuhu and the letter from Ekweremadu backing the ‘boy’s’ application for a visa to donate a kidney to his daughter was bringing to question the case brought against the former deputy president of the Senate.

It would be recalled that Ekweremadu and his wife, Beatrice, were arrested and charged to court for bringing a child to the United Kingdom UK for organ harvesting.

This development was confirmed by the Metropolitan Police after the pair were charged to court on Thursday following an investigation by the police’ specialist crime team.

READ ALSO:   USAID Announces N63.8bn Support For Nigeria [Breakdown]

The police added that the investigation was launched after detectives were alerted to potential offences under modern slavery legislation in May 2022.

“Beatrice Nwanneka Ekweremadu, 55 (10.9.66) of Nigeria is charged with conspiracy to arrange/facilitate the travel of another person with a view to exploitation, namely organ harvesting,” the statement reads.

“Ike Ekweremadu, 60 (12.05.62) of Nigeria is charged with conspiracy to arrange/facilitate the travel of another person with a view to exploitation, namely organ harvesting.

“They have both been remanded in custody and will appear at Uxbridge Magistrates’ Court later today.”

READ ALSO:   Angst Over Murder Of Akunyili, Others As Buhari, S'East Govs React

“A child has been safeguarded and we are working closely with partners on continued support.

“As criminal proceedings are now underway, we will not be providing further details.”

When the case came up for hearing on Thursday, the duo were remanded in custody in the United Kingdom for fourteen days until July 7, 2022.

Prosecutor Damla Ayas had argued that: ‘It is a conspiracy concerning human trafficking offences for organ harvesting. The victim, in this case, is a 15 years old boy.

Ekweremadu's Alleged Organ Harvesting Saga: New Twist Surfaces 

Subscribe to Our VIP Newsletter

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here