I Didn’t Go Anywhere, I’m Jagaban, Tinubu Speaks On Lekki Shootings

2663
  • Says Casualties Have Questions To Answer

By Gbenga Abulude (Politics and General Desk)

All Progressives Congress (APC) Chieftain and former governor of Lagos, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has broken his silence since the Tuesday’s shooting of #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate in Lagos.

Recall reports surfaced on the social media, claiming that Tinubu had been flown to Paris in France, away from the tension in the land. Also, it was reported that there was an alleged attack on his residence at Bourdillon, Ikoyi by angry youths.

However, Tinubu has dismissed the reports. He said he did not travel to anywhere, insisting that he remains the ‘Jagaban’ (meaning warrior) and has no where to run to.

I'm Jagaban

Read also: Why Curfew Was Relaxed In Lagos –Sanwo-Olu

Tinubu during a visit to Governor Jide Sanwo-Olu at the State House in Marina, Lagos on Saturday was interrogated by newsmen.

One of the journalists asked Tinubu, “We were told you were in London, you were in France, when did you return?”

“I didn’t go nowhere, I am a Lagosian, and then I still hold the title of Asiwaju of Lagos and I am still a Jagaban,” the former governor responded as everyone laughed including Sanwo-Olu at his response.

“I’m still the Asiwaju and Jagaban of Lagos…whatever they think, fake news is all over the place. They said Seyi my son was kidnapped, he is here. It is all a joke,” he added.

Tinubu told newsmen that the purpose of his meeting with Sanwo-Olu was to find out the mystery behind the Lekki shootings, which has been highly contentious since the horrific incident. Sanwo-olu, in an interview had said he knew nothing about the deployment of the soldiers.

Also, the Nigerian military had also denied any involvement in the activities of that night, claiming the footages showing men in army camouflage as they shot at protesters were photoshoped.

Read also: #EndSARS: What Buhari, OBJ, Other Former Heads Of State Discussed [Full Details]

Speaking on the shootings, Tinubu said he had asked Sanwo-Olu if he had ordered soldiers to attack #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki toll gate on Tuesday. “If he didn’t order the attack, who ordered the attack? That’s all I needed from him,” says Tinubu.

On the investigations needed to unravel the mystery behind the Lekki shootings, Tinubu said there was need to separate both incidents and for government to do the right thing on the issue.

He said, “First, we have to segregate the calendar, those who suffered casualty before the protests from the hands of SARS. You have to separate that from those who suffered casualty due to what happened at the toll gate.

He said; “For those who suffered casualty from SARS, the commission of inquiry that is already set up will unearth that and will make their recommendations. I trust the calibre and the character of the people there, they are independent…Casualties of Lekki shootings have some questions to answer; how are they there? How long were they there? What kind of characters are they?”

Recall that the last few days has been characterised by tension in the country and wanton destruction of government and private properties.

Before the attack, the #EndSARS protesters had continued with their peaceful demonstrations which had lasted for two week. The government’s intervention and plea for them to call off the protests and blockage of major highways failed to take them off the streets.

Also, the assurance by the government that their demands would be met did little to stop to stop the protests.

The protests became violent in different cities as it was hijacked by hoodlums who used the opportunity to wreck havoc on police stations and other places, forcing governments to impose curfews in different states of the country.

Subscribe to Our VIP Newsletter

SHARE
Previous articleTVC Resumes Broadcast After Hoodlums’ Attack, Staff Open Up
Next articleReal Madrid Thrash Barca To Maintain Nou Camp Dominance
Avatar

The New Diplomat stands for ethical journalism, press freedom, accountable republic, and gender-equity. That is why at The New Diplomat, we are committed to speaking truth to power, fostering a robust community of responsible journalism, and using high quality polls, data, and surveys to engage the public with compelling narratives about political, business, socio-economic, environmental, and situational dynamics in Nigeria, Africa, and globally. From our insightful reports of political issues to our riveting investigations and analyses of business, socio-economic, and cross-cutting sectors, The New Diplomat remains ever committed to investigative reporting and ethical journalism. Support and partner with The New Diplomat today, to guarantee a positive future for all under an atmosphere of free press!