The Nigerian military on Sunday asked terrorists fighting for the extremist Boko Haram sect “to give up their ignoble adventure” and surrender to the nation’s security forces.
A statement by the military said troops were now conducting operations in the heart of Sambisa forest to smoke out the remnants of the terrorist sect.
The statement signed by the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Leo Irabor, said members of the terrorist group who lay down their arms “would be humanely treated in line with international best practices and in accordance with the international humanitarian law.”
Irabor, a major general, listed the major successes recorded so far by the Nigerian troops against sect, and thanked Nigerians for their support for the military.
He said the military was more determined than ever before to secure the nation.
Irabor said the support of President Muhammadu Buhari in the fight against terrorism was “outstanding”, and that “the direction given by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen T Y Buratai in this operation was unique.
“We remain absolutely loyal and committed to the cause for which we are assigned to,” Irabor said.
The military has in the past year recorded major victories against the Boko Haram sect, which at some point controlled vast territories in Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa States.
The insurgency has caused the death of an estimated 20,000 people since it began in 2009.