BREAKING: Trump’s Spokesman, Sean Spicer Resigns

44247

Sean Spicer has resigned as White House press secretary, bringing to an end a tumultuous six months as the public face of Donald Trump’s administration.

Mr Spicer stepped down because he was unhappy with President Donald Trump’s appointment of a new communications director, reports the New York Times.

Combative Wall Street financier Anthony Scaramucci has been picked for the role that Mr Spicer partially filled.

READ ALSO:   Angela Merkel, Other Leaders Slam Twitter For Blocking Donald Trump

Mr Spicer’s press briefings were a cable news hit, but he withdrew from camera in recent weeks.

The shake-up comes as the White House faces inquiries into alleged Russian meddling in last year’s US presidential election and whether Mr Trump’s campaign team colluded with Moscow.

The New York Times reports that 45-year-old Mr Spicer “vehemently” disagreed with the appointment of Mr Scaramucci, which he believed to be a “major mistake”.

READ ALSO:   Biden Sends 5,000 US Soldiers To Afghanistan, Warns Taliban

The search for a new appointment began after Mike Dubke resigned from the communications director job in May.

Mr Spicer has been serving as both press secretary and communications director since Mr Dubke’s exit.

“It’s been an honor & a privilege to serve @POTUS @realDonaldTrump & this amazing country,” Mr Spicer tweeted.

 

“I will continue my service through August”.

READ ALSO:   Border Wall: U.S. Senate Caves In On Trump’s Demand

BBC says journalists have besieged the sprawling 18-acre complex so they can film Mr Spicer leaving the executive mansion.

Members of the media were shouting and pushing as they crowded round a door leading to the lower press office, seeking answers for the press secretary’s exit.

The reporters quietened down somewhat when they were assured that the deputy press secretary would hold a briefing on Friday afternoon.

READ ALSO:   US' Election: Facebook Ponders Ban On Political Ad

On day one in January, Mr Spicer set the tone of his relationship with the press by bursting into the briefing room to berate journalists for their reporting of crowd numbers at President Trump’s inauguration.

His proclivity for gaffes and garbling of his words, as well as making debatable assertions, soon saw Mr Spicer’s name trending on Twitter.

Mr Scaramucci, who has no previous experience in communications roles, is currently senior vice-president of the Export-Import Bank, a US government agency which guarantees loans for foreign buyers of American exports.

READ ALSO:   57 Days to Go, Trump Unveils New Visa Protocol That 'll Require Tourists To Pay As Much As $15,000 In Bonds

He is a trusted loyalist who has frequently appeared on television to defend Mr Trump. But he has not always been a supporter.

In August 2015, he attacked Mr Trump shortly after the Republican candidate launched his White House bid.

Mr Scaramucci told Fox Business that Mr Trump was a “hack”, whose criticism of hedge funds was “anti-American”, adding: “I don’t like the way he talks about women.”

READ ALSO:   Trump Administration Set To Release Boko Haram Plan

He continued: “The politicians don’t want to go at Trump because he’s got a big mouth and they’re afraid he will light them up on Fox News.

“You’re an inherited money dude from Queen’s County. Bring it, Donald.”

Subscribe to Our VIP Newsletter

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here