The pan Yoruba socio-political organisation, Afenifere; the umbrella body of Yoruba self-determination groups, Ilana Omo Oodua (IOO); and the Aare Onakakanfo of Yorubaland, Chief Gani Adams, have berated the security operatives for orchestrating the recent attack on the residence of popular Yoruba Nation agitator, Chief Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Igboho.
The New Diplomat had reported that some armed men in the early hours of Thursday invaded the activist’s residence located in the Soka area of Ibadan, Oyo State.
According to Igboho’s spokesman, Mr Olayomi Koiki, the residence of the Yoruba Nation agitator was attacked by soldiers.
In a Facebook live chat, Koiki said: “I can confirm that those who came are definitely Nigerian soldiers. There are more than 100 soldiers that came.”
“The situation is very active as more security operatives in about seven Nigerian Army patrol vans have arrived,” he added.
Meanwhile, the DSS has claimed responsibility for the attack on the residence of Igboho, asking the Yoruba agitator to turn himself in as it launches manhunt for him.
According to the DSS spokesman, Mr Peter Afunanya, who addressed a press conference on Thursday, a team of joint security operatives stormed Igboho’s residence.
Afunanya said the invasion was based on an intelligence report that Igboho was stockpiling arms to cause chaos within the southwest region.
He also stated that guards of Igboho engaged operatives of the agency in a gun battle, noting that two of Igboho’s men were killed while some operatives of the DSS sustained varying degrees of injuries.
Reacting to the attack, Afenifere criticised the federal government for allegedly trying to intimidate Igboho.
Afenifere in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Jare Ajayi, said the manner of the attack indicated culpability on the part of the government.
The statement reads, “We are forced into this deduction for a number of reasons. Firstly, eyewitness accounts indicated that the vehicles and uniforms of the attackers were that of the security agencies.
“Secondly, the failure of security agencies to confront the attackers further implicated the government. It was reported that the attack lasted for more than three hours.
“Igboho’s residence is in a highly-populated area within minutes’ reach to surrounding police stations. That no rescue team came from any of the police units, including the DSS office in Ibadan for the several hours that the attack lasted, makes it difficult not to believe that the government is complicit in the attack.”
In a statement by his Special Assistant on Media, Mr. Kehinde Aderemi, Chief Adams said the attack was a ploy by the government to silence Igboho from agitating for the South West.
However, he called on the Federal Government to intervene swiftly and ensure that all the individuals that attacked the activist’s residence are brought to book.
The statement reads, “The attack on Sunday Igboho’s house is most unfortunate. It is a reflection of the fact that our lives as Nigerians are of no value to the government. And the truth is that nobody is safe in this country.
“The recent attack was the second in six months. The first was in January when his Soka residence was razed by unknown arsonists, and to date, nobody had been apprehended in respect of the ugly incident.
“The two attempts at Igboho’s houses within six months cannot be said to be ordinary. They were ploys to cow him and frustrate him. We cannot continue to live in fear and trepidations. We cannot continue to live in perpetual crisis where our lives and property are not secure.”
IOO in a statement by Emeritus Prof. Banji Akintoye, and made available by his Communications Manager, Mr. Maxwell Adeleye, accused the Nigerian Army, accompanied by those he labelled international terrorists hired by the Nigerian state, of attacking Igboho’s home.
Akintoye also alleged that the assailants were all dressed in military uniform and spoke the French language fluently.
Meanwhile, the DSS while declaring Igboho wanted, said: “Adeyemo/Igboho is advised to turn himself in to the nearest security agency. Those cheering and eulogising him may appeal to or advise him to do the needful. He should surrender himself to the appropriate authorities. He or anyone can never be above the law. Meanwhile, those arrested will be charged accordingly.” Afunanya stated in the statement.
According to Afunanya, arms, ammunition, charms among other items, were recovered from the house, while 13 person were arrested after almost one hour of gun exchange between security operatives and Igboho’s guards.
The DSS added that seven AK-47 assault rifles; three Pump Action guns; 30 fully charged AK-47 magazines; 5,000 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition; five Cutlasses, One Jack knife, One Pen Knife, two Pistol holsters; One binoculars, a wallet containing 5 US Dollars in one Dollar denomination; local and international driver’s licences in his name, ATM Cards, a German residence permit No. YO2N6K1NY bearing his name, were among items recovered from his residence.
The remaining items included, two (2) whistles; Fifty (5) Cartridges; 18 Walkie-Talkies;Three Voodoo charm jackets/traditional body armour; two (2) Laptops (One (1) Toshiba and One (1) Compaq); and His International Passport.
Afunanya also added that further exploitation and forensic analysis of the items recovered from Igboho’s residence are underway.
The statement partly reads, “On approach to his residence, the team came under heavy gun attack by nine men suspected to be Igboho’s guards. Six were armed with AK-47 guns and three others with pump-action rifles.
“In the course of the exchange, two of the armed men were gunned down, while the rest were subdued and arrested. Only one operative, who was shot by the assailants in his right hand, sustained injury. He has, however, received medical attention and is very stable.
“The gun duel, which lasted an hour, offered Igboho the chance to escape. Sunday Adeyemo, aka Sunday Igboho, is now on the run.”