OPEC+ Now Sees Smaller Oil Market Deficit In Q4

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer
Tsvetana Paraskova

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

…The OPEC+ group now expects the oil market to show a deficit of just 300,000 barrels per day (bpd) in the fourth quarter

…The lower expected deficit would justify the continued cautious approach of the group in adding supply to the market

The OPEC+ group now expects the oil market to show a deficit of just 300,000 barrels per day (bpd) in the fourth quarter, down from initial expectations of a 1.1-million-bpd deficit, delegates told Bloomberg.

The alliance’s Joint Technical Committee (JTC) significantly downgraded the expectations of a market deficit at their meeting on Thursday after reviewing the latest data on global oil demand, Bloomberg’s sources added.

The technical panel monitors the situation on the market and meets ahead of every ministerial meeting of OPEC+. Ministers are scheduled to meet on November 4 to discuss how to proceed with the easing of the collective production cuts.

The lower expected deficit would justify the continued cautious approach of the group in adding supply to the market. Since August, OPEC+ has been easing the cuts by 400,000 bpd in each month through November, despite calls from oil-consuming nations—including the United States—to boost supply and tame the oil price rally.

The downgrade to the expected deficit would also justify the position of OPEC’s top producer and the world’s largest exporter that market participants should look beyond the fourth quarter of this year.

OPEC+ needs to remain cautious with its approach to oil production adjustments despite rising prices, Saudi Energy Minister, Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman, told Bloomberg in an interview earlier this week.

The Saudi minister noted that higher production is only justifiable when there is a clear purpose for it, which, according to him, was now absent as utilities switching from gas or coal to oil were doing on a very limited scale.

The energy minister also said he expected a significant increase in combined OPEC+ oil supply by the end of next year, even without the hypothetical return of Venezuela or Iran to international markets.

“We don’t take things for granted,” he told Bloomberg. “We still have Covid, there are still lockdowns,” and jet fuel supply remains constricted. “So, we’re not yet out of the box and we’re not out of the realm of Covid.”

NB: Tsvetana Paraskova wrote this article for Oilprice.com

Ad

X whatsapp