[Video] Rivers Crisis: I Wanted Fubara’s ‘Outright’ Sack Not State Of Emergency — Wike

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Departs Brazil for Nigeria After State Visit

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has concluded a three-day state visit to Brazil, departing the country for Abuja on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. The New Diplomat reports that the presidential jet took off from Brasília International Airport Air Force Base, with a ceremonial send-off attended by Brazil’s Secretary for Africa and the Middle…

President’s son jailed 6 years in fraud case as power tussle soars in Equatorial Guinea

• Two brothers at war over who succeeds Nguema Mbasogo By Obinna Uballa An Equatorial Guinea court has sentenced Ruslan Obiang Nsue, son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, to six years in prison for illegally selling a plane belonging to the state airline, Ceiba Intercontinental, a case analysts say reflects growing rivalry within the…

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

Ad

By Kolawole Ojebisi

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has disclosed that he’s not pleased with the presidential declaration of a state of emergency in Rivers State.

Wike revealed that the emergency rule was not part of his desired outcome in the ongoing political crisis.

The minister made this known during a media parley in Abuja on Friday.

“I am not happy with the state of emergency,” the former Rivers governor said.

“As a politician, I am not happy with the declaration of Emergency Rule in Rivers state. I wanted the outright removal of the governor. But for the interest of the state, the president did the right thing to prevent anarchy in the state.

“The matter is in court but people must say the truth. The governor was gone. It is not on my place to make it good for the governor. As a politician, my business is not to make him comfortable and that is why there is power plane.” he added.

Wike and Fubara have been at loggerheads since Fubara became governor.

The face-off between the two stems from a struggle for control of the state’s political and structural resources.

The rift also affected the state House of Assembly, with 27 suspended members defecting to the All Progressives Congress.

The supremacy battle led to the emergence of factional speakers and a parallel assembly.

However, the crisis came to a head last month when President Bola Tinubu proclaimed a state of emergency in the state, citing persistent political instability and escalating security concerns, including recent pipeline explosions.

The president suspended Governor Siminalayi Fubara, Deputy Governor Ngozi Odu, and all members of the House of Assembly for six months. He described the move as “inevitably compelling” based on security reports.

In their place, Tinubu appointed Vice Admiral Ibas as sole administrator to oversee the state’s affairs pending resolution of the crisis — a decision that has sparked widespread debate across the country.

Ad

X whatsapp