Uromi Killings: 14 Suspected Murderers Have Been Transferred To Abuja For Interrogation — Okpebholo

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

By Kolawole Ojebisi

The governor of Edo State, Monday Okpebholo, on Monday, said 14 suspects arrested in connection with the killing of Kano-bound travellers in Uromi LGA of the state have been transferred to Abuja for further interrogation.

The suspects were detained after a mob attacked a group of hunters travelling to Kano for Sallah celebrations on Thursday.

Giving an update on the development in Abuja during a condolence visit to Barau Jibrin, the deputy senate president, Okpebholo condemned the attack and assured Nigerians that those responsible would be brought to justice.

Okpebholo also announced that his government had set up a committee to support the families of those killed.

“It’s unfortunate that it happened in our state. We are here to say, to let you and other people know that we are not happy,” Ismail Mudashir, media aide to Barau, quoted Okpebholo as saying.

“The president is doing something drastic about this. He’s not happy also.

“The IG has swung into action. The DIG CID is in charge. So far, they have arrested 14 suspects.

“So they are bringing them to Abuja for interrogation. We have also set up a committee to see that we take care of the families of the deceased.”

Responding, Barau said the perpetrators of the act must be brought to book to serve as a deterrent to others.

“We cannot undo what has been done. But we all want – all Nigerians, what they are looking forward to is to make sure that these people are arrested and brought to justice. And you are doing well in that direction,” Barau said.

“And I’m also glad you’ve spoken about the fact that your government is ready to assist the families of those affected.

“I want you to continue to pursue the case so that all those who were involved in these barbaric actions are brought to justice. It’s a barbaric action, to say the facts.”

He urged the Edo government to ensure all those involved were held accountable, adding that such attacks must never happen again.

Ad

X whatsapp