Sex Scandal: Trump’s Man For US Attorney-General Matt Gaetz Finally Bows To Pressure, Withdraws from Nomination

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

United States former Republican Congressman and US President elect Donald Trump’s pick for Attorney General of the United States, Matt Gaetz on Thursday dramatically announced that he is stepping down from his nomination.

The New Diplomat reports that Gaetz’s announcement comes after a tumultuous and controversial campaign emerged against him, during which previously surfaced allegations of sexual misconducts were reignited and drew significant media attention.

In a press statement released on his official X account, Gaetz said: “I had excellent meetings with Senators yesterday. I appreciate their thoughtful feedback – and the incredible support of so many.

“While the momentum was strong, it is clear that my confirmation was unfairly becoming a distraction to the critical work of the Trump/Vance Transition.

“There is no time to waste on a needlessly protracted Washington scuffle. Thus, I’ll be withdrawing my name from consideration to serve as Attorney General.”

The New Diplomat reports that Gaetz’s nomination had received massive backlash from several individuals over his suitability for the role.

This is as Gaetz is facing scrutiny over allegations of sexual misconduct, raising concerns about whether he can secure the 51 Senate votes required for confirmation.

The nomination has been met with scepticism across party lines. Gaetz has been embroiled in investigations involving sexual misconduct and drug use, including an unresolved House Ethics Committee probe.

The report from the probe remains unreleased, further complicating his path to confirmation.

The controversy surrounding Gaetz stems from multiple allegations, including claims from a witness’s attorney that Gaetz engaged in sexual relations with a minor.

However, Gaetz had repeatedly denied having sex with an underage girl.

Ad

X whatsapp