Owo Church Attack: Akeredolu Disputes FG’s Claims On ISWAP Culpability

The New Diplomat
Writer
Ondo Attack: Akeredolu Vows To Hunt Down Assailants, Make Them Pay

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

  • I take their conclusion with a pinch of salt,” Says Ondo Governor

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State on Friday said the Federal government was too hasty in its pronouncement that Islamic State of West African Province (ISWAP) was culpable in the attack on worshippers at St Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State.

The Federal Government had on Thursday linked the horrendous attack that killed about 40 worshippers in Owo last Sunday to ISWAP. Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola while speaking with journalists covering State House had said:“Council is quite concerned about the violent attack in Ondo state and we have been able to locate the perpetrators, we have zeroed it that ISWAP did it, the animals in ISWAP wanting attention are responsible, we have asked security personnel to go after them and bring them to justice.”

But Akeredolu noted that he took the Federal government’s conclusion with a pinch of salt, adding that ISWAP is known to take responsibility for their attacks.

He said this during a zoom interaction with a Swiss-based Christian human rights Organisation, Christian Solidarity International (CSI).

”The statement is too hasty. I take their conclusion with a pinch of salt. ISWAP doesn’t hide its attacks. If they have done it, they would have owned up. We are yet to know and our security people are still on their trail.”

Akeredolu, who said the attack was a crime against humanity, noted that the Southwest region has been a peaceful haven before the horrific attack.

The governor said despite the attack on the psyche of the people, the people of the state are indomitable and ready to fight insecurity.

Government, according to him ” is determined to help the victims of the attack, particularly those who lost their loved ones and those on admission in the hospital.

“We have a plan to help the victims of the attack. Including those who lost their lives and those who are in the hospitals. Deliberately, we have people who have offered the state government some assistance. Some people have donated to the Catholic.”

Akeredolu also reiterated his stand on state police, noting that the time for state police is now.

He empathised that the present security architecture in the country can not provide security for lives and property.

“A single police command can not guarantee safety in this country. We must have state police now.Amotekun suffers a lot of limitations in getting all the equipment we need to fight these criminals.

The governor commended the international community for their reaction to the killing in Owo, saying their reaction was unprecedented.

Meanwhile, on Friday there were rumours that suspects have been arrested in connection with the attack. This led to the storming of the Olowo of Owo palace by young people in the town.

But the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Richard Olatunde and the Ondo State Police Command Spokesperson, Funmi Odunlami have said no arrest has been made in respect of the last Sunday attack on the Church in Owo.

Ad

X whatsapp