N1.3bn scam: Lulu, 3 other ex-NFF officials file no-case-submission

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Nigerians mourn as ex-IGP Solomon Arase dies in Abuja hospital

By Obinna Uballa Tributes have begun to pour in on X following the reported death of former Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Solomon Arase, who was said to have passed away at Cedarcrest Hospital in Abuja, Nigeria. Although the Nigeria Police Force and his family are yet to officially confirm the news, several prominent Nigerians have…

Fossil Fuel Air Pollution Linked to 91,000 U.S. Deaths Every Year

A landmark study finds U.S. oil and gas pollution causes 91,000 premature deaths annually, alongside asthma, cancer, and pre-term births. The study highlights disproportionate harm to poor and minority communities, with racial-ethnic disparities tied to geography and supply-chain stages. Despite the findings, the U.S. government is rolling back EPA pollution standards to expand fossil fuel…

Russia Gears Up for New Nuclear Missile Test

Significant activity on Russia's Novaya Zemlya archipelago indicates an impending test of the nuclear-powered Burevestnik cruise missile, known as Skyfall by NATO. The Burevestnik, a complex system designed to carry a nuclear warhead and evade missile defenses, has a history of development failures, including a deadly explosion in 2019. The timing of the potential test,…

Ad

The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, on Thursday fixed Nov.15 to determine the no-case-submission filed by former president of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Sani Lulu and three others accused of mismanaging N1.3 billion. The others are Amanze Uchegbulam, a former first vice president, Taiwo Ogunjobi, a former executive committee member and NFF former secretary-general, Bolaji Ojo-Oba. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the accused persons had earlier lost in their bid to get the Court of Appeal to quash the charges.

NFF1Part of the charges against them include alleged unauthorised payment of estacodes/allowances of $800,000 to 220 delegates to the World Cup in South Africa as against 47 delegates approved for the trip. They are also accused of mismanaging N900million World Cup funds belonging to the NFF, purchase of luxury buses for the Super Eagles at over-inflated prices and incurring a $125,000 fine in South Africa over a botched deal with a hotel.

At the resumed hearing, counsel to the accused persons, Chief Sunday Ameh (SAN), announced to the court on the pending motion of no-case-submission. “My Lord, my clients have filed a joint no-case-submission on about three grounds why they should not stand this trial. “We have duly served the prosecution team and some responses received from them.

“We will be glad if the court allows us to move the motion with the hope of getting this case behind us,’’ he said. However, the move was immediately countered by the prosecution counsel, Mr Titus Ashaolu (SAN) who cited some unresolved variables. According to him, the prosecution is yet to respond to all the matters raised in the motion by the defence counsel. The Judge, Justice Evon Chukwu, ordered all the parties to file written addresses on the matter for onward presentation at a later date.

“Having agreed on the date to appear next in court, the matter is hereby adjourned till Nov. 15 for the adoption of your written addresses,’’ he said.

Ad

X whatsapp