Metuh’s Trial: Jonathan Fails To Show In Court, Snubs Order

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

Former President Goodluck Jonathan ignored a court order to appear at the Federal High Court, Abuja, today, to give evidence in support of former publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Olisa Metuh.

The former president was no where in sight when the case was called today.

Justice Okon Abang has, however, ordered the bailiff to serve the former president within five days the subpoena compelling him to appear in court.

The Court of Appeal, Abuja, on Oct.3 granted an application filed by Olisa Metuh, to compel the ex-president to testify in the N400 million fraud charge brought against the applicant.

On Tuesday, Justice Okon Abang held that the ex-president was mandated by the decision of the appellate court to appear before him to testify in the criminal suit.

The judge also said that retired Col. Sambo Dasuki, former National Security Adviser (NSA), was billed to appear in the matter on the same date as a defendant witness.

Abang in his ruling on Wednesday noted that without the two summoned witnesses appearing, the court might not be able to make any progress in the case.

He also noted that while Dasuki had been served with the court subpoena, Jonathan had yet to be served so could not be blamed for failure to attend court on Wednesday.

The court also ordered the counsel prosecuting Metuh, Mr. Sylvanus Tahir, to persuade the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to explore administrative means of ensuring that the Department of State Service produced the detained former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki, in court on October 31.

The N400million was alleged to have been disbursed from the Office of the National Security Adviser.

Upon applications by Metuh, the court had issued two separate subpoenas on Jonathan and Dasuki, compelling them to appear in court on Wednesday.

Ad

X whatsapp