Kazakh President Issues Shoot-to-kill Order As Violence Continues

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

NBA Must Guard Against Partisan Slippage

By Johnson Babalola The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has always been more than a professional guild of lawyers. It has played a historic role in defending the rule of law and challenging abuses of power. That tradition rightly gives it a voice in governance and national policy debates. But there is a fine line between…

Just In! APC Dominates Rivers LG Polls, Secures 20 Seats While PDP Claims Three

By Abiola Olawale The All Progressives Congress (APC) has swept the recent Rivers State Local Government elections, clinching 20 out of 23 chairmanship positions. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), long a dominant force in Rivers politics, only secured three chairmanship positions in Saturday's Rivers State Local Government polls. The results were announced by the Rivers…

SERAP Slams FG, Says Passport Fee Hike is Illegal

• Urges Tinubu to Reverse Decision By Abiola Olawale The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has condemned the Federal Government’s recent decision to increase Nigerian passport fees. This is as the organisation labelled the move as “arbitrary, unlawful, and discriminatory.” The New Diplomat reports that the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) recently announced that, starting…

Ad

Moscow (dpa) – The president of Kazakhstan, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, issued a shoot-to-kill order against the protesters threatening his authoritarian government’s survival on Friday.

“I have given orders to the security forces and the army to open fire without warning,” Tokayev said in a televised address, rejecting international calls for dialogue as “stupidity” and asking: “What kind of negotiations can there be with criminals and murderers?”

Demanding “anti-terrorist operations” continue until the “fighters are completely wiped out,” Tokayev claimed that some 20,000 “bandits” had rioted in the country’s biggest city Almaty, and suggested without giving any details that the unrest had been directed from abroad.

On Friday morning, state television reported that 26 demonstrators had been killed and over 3,700 arrested since the unrest began, while officials put the death toll for the security forces at 18.

Meanwhile, independent news channels showed footage of smoke rising from buildings in Almaty and reported the sound of gunfire, suggesting that the unrest is continuing despite the government’s claim to have regained control.

The arrival of Russian troops in the country appears to have given the Kazakh authorities significant relief, however, with Moscow announcing that Almaty airport was once again “under full control” after anti-government protesters occupied it earlier this week.

Russia’s troop deployment came in response to a request to the Russian-dominated Collective Security Treaty Organization from Tokayev asking for help in putting down the anti-government demonstrations, which were sparked by soaring fuel prices.

The Chinese government appeared to shift its position on Friday when it voiced its support for the Russian-led military intervention.

“China supports all efforts that help the Kazakhstan authorities to end the chaos as soon as possible,” Foreign Office spokesperson Wang Wenbin told the press in Beijing, adding that China firmly opposed external forces deliberately creating social unrest to incite violence. Just a day earlier Wang had called the unrest in its western neighbour an “internal affair.”

Almaty, Kazakhstan’s biggest city and economic hub, has now seen days of rioting, including the torching of government buildings and mass looting. Armed demonstrators are also believed to be holed up in a television station in the city.

The country’s internet has been cut, its borders have been sealed and information cannot be easily verified in most cases.

Turkish Airlines has confirmed to dpa that it has suspended its flights to Kazakhstan until Sunday, citing the continued unrest.

Ad

X whatsapp