How Oyo Police Command Arrested Ooni’s Ex-Wife, Naomi Over Death of 35 Children

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

Naomi Silekunola, the ex-wife of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, has been arrested over an alleged connection with a tragic stampede at a children’s carnival in Ibadan, Oyo State, where 35 children were confirmed dead.

The event was reportedly organized by Naomi’s foundation, Women in Need of Guidance and Support (WINGS).

It would be recalled that the tragic incident happened at the event which took place at Islamic High School, Bashorun, Ibadan, Oyo State.

Meanwhile, in a statement, the Oyo State Police Command spokesperson, Adewale Osifeso, reported that: “eight persons have since been arrested for their various involvements” in the event.”

“Among those detained are Silekunola, aged 31, and Fasasi Abdulahi, the 56-year-old principal of the school.”

“The other individuals arrested include Genesis Christopher, Tanimowo Moruf, Anisolaja Olabode, Idowu Ibrahim, and Abiola Oluwatimilehin, with ages ranging from 25 to 52 years.”

According to the statement, the stampede resulted in the tragic loss of 35 minors, with six additional children reported to be in critical condition and receiving various medical interventions.

“So far, 35 minors have been documented dead while 6 others are critically injured,” the statement added.

Ad

X whatsapp