FG, Senate State Position On Conviction Of 6 Nigerians In UAE For Funding Boko Haram

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

Kano Govt Demands Immediate Arrest of Ex-Governor Ganduje Over Security Comments

By Abiola Olawale The Kano State Executive Council has called for the immediate investigation and arrest of the former Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, following what it describes as "inciting and reckless" public comments concerning the state's security situation. The demand, raised after a State Executive Council meeting on Thursday, accused the former governor of…

(VIDEO) Obasanjo backs foreign intervention as insecurity worsens, slams FG’s approach

By Obinna Uballa Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has called on the Federal Government to halt all negotiations with terrorists and seek international assistance to tackle Nigeria’s worsening insecurity. Obasanjo issued the warning on Friday while speaking at the Plateau State Unity Christmas Carol and Praise Festival in Jos, amid a wave of killings and mass…

Ad

Six Nigerians convicted for sponsoring terrorism in the United Arab Emirates can appeal their conviction at the UAE Supreme Court, the Nigerian government said, Monday, as the Nigerian Senate prepares to open investigation into the allegations.

The men were convicted for funding Boko Haram as they were alleged to have made cash transfers to the terrorist’s organization up to the tune of $782,000. The families of the convicted men have reportedly refuted the allegations.

Two of the convicts, Surajo Abubakar Muhammad and Saleh Yusuf Adamu were reportedly sentenced to life imprisonment while the remaining four, Ibrahim Ali Alhassan, AbdurRahman Ado Musa, Bashir Ali Yusuf and Muhammad Ibrahim Isa were handed ten-year imprisonment, respectively.Nigerians In UAE,UAE Supreme Court

Read also: Al-Qaeda Making Inroads To Nigeria’s Northwest, US Raises Alarm

Reacting to the development, the Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, acknowledged the conviction of the Nigerians, but said the men could approach the UAE Supreme Court “if they so desired” to upturn the judgement.

Dabiri-Erewa in a tweet on Monday stated, “They can approach the Supreme Court if they so desire as we continue to appeal to Nigerians all over the world to desist from crime and criminality. The case had been in court since 2015.”

The spokesman, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr Ferdinand Nwonye, said the government would be exploring various options including diplomatic avenues to help the defendants but noted that there was no official position on the case for now.

The Nigerian Senate through Senator Opeyemi Bamidele, chairman of the Senate Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters, said the upper chamber will open an investigation into the allegations of funding Boko Haram by the Nigerians.

Bamidele, speaking with reporters on Monday, however, noted that the committee was unaware of the recent arrest and imprisonment of the six persons.

However, the committee was ready to find out the true position of things.

“These are some of the issues before us as a committee.

Read also: Election Nullification: Remain Calm, I ‘ll Appeal Ruling, Gov. Diri Tells Supporters

“It’s not just the Senate Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters, the House Committee on Justice is also working with us on this matter,” he said.

Ad

X whatsapp