Coup: Myanmar Dictators Block Twitter, Instagram Amid Civil Disobedience

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

Kano Govt Demands Immediate Arrest of Ex-Governor Ganduje Over Security Comments

By Abiola Olawale The Kano State Executive Council has called for the immediate investigation and arrest of the former Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, following what it describes as "inciting and reckless" public comments concerning the state's security situation. The demand, raised after a State Executive Council meeting on Thursday, accused the former governor of…

(VIDEO) Obasanjo backs foreign intervention as insecurity worsens, slams FG’s approach

By Obinna Uballa Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has called on the Federal Government to halt all negotiations with terrorists and seek international assistance to tackle Nigeria’s worsening insecurity. Obasanjo issued the warning on Friday while speaking at the Plateau State Unity Christmas Carol and Praise Festival in Jos, amid a wave of killings and mass…

Ad

The new military rulers of Myanmar on Friday (Feb 5) ordered mobile operators and Internet service providers to block access to Twitter and Instagram in the country until “further notice”, Norwegian telecom Telenor said.

The government had already ordered Internet providers on Thursday to block Facebook, which counts half of the population of 54 million as users, until Feb 7.

The Ministry of Communications and Information Technology did not immediately answer a request for comment, but said previously it had blocked Facebook for the sake of “stability”.

A spokeswoman for Twitter, which is also facing pressure from authorities in India, said it was “deeply concerned about the order to block Internet services in Myanmar.”

“It undermines the public conversation and the rights of people to make their voices heard. The Open Internet is increasingly under threat around the world. We will continue to advocate to end destructive government-led shutdowns,” she said.

A spokesman for Facebook confirmed the block on Instagram.

“We urge authorities to restore connectivity so that people in Myanmar can communicate with family and friends and access important information,” he told Reuters.

In a statement, Telenor expressed “grave concern” about the directive and said it had challenged its necessity to authorities.

Since the ban on Facebook, thousands in Myanmar have flocked to Twitter and Instagram to express their opposition to Monday’s takeover by the army and the ousting and arrest of elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Many people are using social media and pro-democracy hashtags to criticise the army’s takeover and call for peaceful protests until the result of November’s election, which was won in a landslide by Suu Kyi’s party, is respected.

The hashtags #RespectOurVotes, #HearTheVoiceofMyanmar, and #SaveMyanmar all had hundreds of thousands of interactions by Friday, according to hashtag tracker BrandMentions.

The military has made unsubstantiated claims that the election of Suu Kyi and her National Democracy League was fraudulent. The election commission said the vote was fair.

With Agency Report

Ad

X whatsapp