UN Chief Guterres Condemns US attack on Iran, Says “It is a Threat to World Peace”

The New Diplomat
Writer
UN Chief Seeks Diplomatic Solution End To Russia - Ukraine war

Ad

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

U.S. Crude Stocks Fall Another 2.4 Million Barrels

Crude oil inventories in the United States decreased by 2.4 million barrels during the week ending August 22, after falling 6 million barrels in the week prior, according to new data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) released on Wednesday. The build brings commercial stockpiles to 418.3 million barrels according to government data, which…

NASA Chief, Experts Hail SpaceX as its Starship nails key test flight after fiery failures

By Obinna Uballa SpaceX's major win on Tuesday as its big Starship rocket successfully completed a critical test flight, marking a turnaround after a string of explosive setbacks earlier in the year, has elicited reactions, reports said. Experts have reportedly hailed the move as groundbreaking. The more-than-400-foot rocket, central to SpaceX’s commercial ambitions and NASA’s…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

United Nations (UN) Secretary-General António Guterres has issued a strong condemnation of the recent United States military strikes on Iran, labeling the action a “dangerous escalation” and a “direct threat to international peace and security.”

Guterres, in a statement posted on his official X account, expressed concern over what he described as the US use of force in the Middle East, warning that the region is “already on the edge.”

He emphasized that “there is no military solution” and urged all parties to pursue diplomacy to de-escalate tensions.

He said: “I am gravely alarmed by the use of force by the United States against Iran today. This is a dangerous escalation in a region already on the edge – and a direct threat to international peace and security.

“There is a growing risk that this conflict could rapidly get out of control – with catastrophic consequences for civilians, the region, and the world.”

This comes after US President Donald Trump on Sunday confirmed that the US had bombed three nuclear sites in Iran.

He also warned that Iran “will get hit again” if it fails to embrace peace.

The US strikes followed a wave of tit-for-tat attacks between Israel and Iran.

On June 13, Israel launched a large-scale attack on Iran, targeting military facilities, nuclear infrastructure, and senior commanders.

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, accused Israel of initiating a war and said it would not go unanswered.

In retaliation, Iran launched missiles into Israeli territory, killing three people and wounding 21 others in Israel’s Coastal Plains region.

Ad

X whatsapp