Anti-labour Practices: Nokia Workers Down Tools In Nigeria

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

Workers in Nokia Solutions Networks Ltd. have commenced a three-day warning strike to protest anti-labour practices by the management of the company.

The workers said they embarked on the strike as members of the Private Telecommunications and Communications Senior Staff Association of Nigeria.

The General Secretary of the association, Mr Okonu Abdullahi, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos on Thursday that the workers would proceed on an indefinite strike at the expiration of the warning strike.

Abdullahi said the strike became necessary because the management of the company had continued to engage in anti-union activities and were disregarding industrial relations processes.

”The union has been calling for a review of the condition of service of employees which was last reviewed a decade ago.

”The management has refused to negotiate with the union. They always showed disdain and contempt for social dialogue, which would have allowed the management and the union to resolve issues facing workers.”

The unionist said that the company had resorted to systematic casualisation of workers, seeking to substitute formal workers with casual workers.

He also accused the company of promoting unwholesome labour practices in Nigeria.

Abdullahi alleged that the company had abused the expatriates’ quota policy and was regularly replacing Nigerians with foreigners on jobs that could be handled by Nigerians.

He alleged further that two years after the company acquired Alcatel Lucent, the management of Nokia had refused to give employment letters to former workers of the acquired company.

The labour leader recalled that the Nokia management had previously promised to give workers letters of appointment as soon as they were employed but that this was never done.

According to him, developments in the company have forced many workers to quit, seeking their means of livelihoods elsewhere.

When contacted, the Managing Director of the company, Mr Edet Richard, declined to utter a word on the developments in Nokia Solutions Networks Ltd.

Ad

X whatsapp