Aiyedatiwa Mum As Ondo APC Chairman’s Abductors Kidnap Ransom Bearers, Make Fresh Demand

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Kolawole Ojebisi

There is now a dramatic twist to the story of abduction of the Ward 5 Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Ose Local Government Area of Ondo State, Nelson Adepoyigi.

This is as his abductors decided to keep in their custody the two persons tasked with the responsibility of delivering the N5 million ransom requested for the release of the party chieftain.

Curiously, the Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa has not spoken on the matter, fuelling concerns in certain quarters.

With this development, the kidnappers have raised their financial demand to N30 million to release Adepoyigi and the two bearers of the ransom, identified as Bayode Loco and Isimeri, respectively.

Recall that the APC ward chairman was abducted around 10 p.m. on Monday outside his residence in Ifon, where the gunmen assaulted him before forcibly taking him away.

This development has compunded the initial panic and confusion the victim’s family and political allies have been plunged into.

Recall that immediately the kidnappers struck, they demanded N100 million as ransom when contacted by the family and political associates of Adepoyigi.

However, after rounds of negotiations the abductors drastically lowered the ransom to N5 million and food items.

However, upon receiving the N5 million, they reneged, demanding N30 million for the trio’s safe return with the development intensifying fears among Adepoyigi’s family and political allies, who had hoped for the return of the APC chieftain.

“Those who took the ransom to them, as agreed during negotiations, were held by the same kidnappers.

“They have now turned around to demand a fresh N30 million before they can release all three of them.” a political ally of the victim told journalists.

While confirming the incident, the Chairman of Ose Local Council Area of the state, Kolapo Oja, revealed that during an earlier negotiation with the the kidnappers, the N100 milliom ransom had been reduced to N5 million as well as food items.

Oja, who expressed concern over the turn of events appealed for calm while security operatives in the state intensify efforts to rescue the victims unhurt.

Ad

X whatsapp