Oyo Explosion: Ownership Details of Mining Company Responsible For Blast Emerge as Makinde Escalates Effort To Apprehend Culprits

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Ayomide Joseph

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has revealed that the mining company linked to the devastating explosion that rocked Ibadan on Tuesday is registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) under foreign ownership. The governor shared these crucial details while speaking on Channels TV’s Politics Today on Wednesday night.

Providing an update on the aftermath of the tragic incident, Governor Makinde confirmed that the death toll has tragically increased to three.

Speaking on efforts to unravel the identity of the firm responsible for the explosion, Makinde said his government is “actively working to identify those involved. Preliminary findings on the company indicate foreign names on the CAC documents, though it’s still early days. Transparency is our priority, and we have nothing to conceal.”

The governor further disclosed that authorities had identified individuals of interest believed to be linked with the explosion.

He clarified that the incident was not linked to banditry or insurgency but rather to illegal miners who stored explosives in a residential area.

Makinde reassured the public of his administration’s commitment to transparency, stating, “We have no reason for a cover-up, and the people of the state should trust us.”

In an effort to prevent future incidents, Governor Makinde unveiled plans to seek presidential approval for miners to store explosives under military supervision. He announced his intention to sign an executive order in the coming days to enforce this measure.

Providing relief to those affected by the explosion, the governor mentioned that temporary shelter had been arranged for residents whose houses were destroyed. Hotels in Bodija and the Agodi areas of the state capital are hosting those displaced by the tragic incident.

The New Diplomat recalls that Governor Makinde had earlier tied the explosion that rocked the state on Tuesday to the activities of illegal miners.

Makinde explained that the preliminary investigation conducted by security agencies revealed that illegal miners occupying one of the houses in Bodija had stored explosive devices in the building which caused the explosion.

However, Omoyele Sowore, the Presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), urged Governor Makinde to disclose the identity of the illegal miners responsible for the explosion.

Sowore also criticized the Department of State Services for not releasing a preliminary report, given its role in granting licenses for the use of explosives nationwide.

Ad

X whatsapp