Xenophobia: Nigerian Stabbed in South Africa

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Nsukka Catholic Diocese Grieves Loss of Bishop Emeritus Francis Okobo at 89

By Abiola Olawale The Catholic community in Nsukka, Enugu State has been engulfed by tears following the passing of Most Rev. Dr. Francis Emmanuel Ogbonna Okobo, Bishop Emeritus of the Nsukka Catholic Diocese. It was gathered that Okobo passed away on Friday, August 29, 2025, at the age of 89. The revered cleric, who served…

Anticipation as Tottenham Accelerates Transfer Chase for Atalanta’s Ademola Lookman

By Abiola Olawale English football club, Tottenham Hotspur is reportedly intensifying negotiations to sign Atalanta’s star forward Ademola Lookman as the summer transfer window approaches its September 1 deadline. It was gathered that Lookman, a 27-year-old Nigerian international, has reportedly caught the eye of Tottenham. Lookman is also reportedly eager to return to the Premier…

Oil Prices Aren’t Likely To Rise Anytime Soon

Analysts surveyed by Reuters expect Brent Crude to average $67.65 per barrel and WTI Crude to average $64.65 per barrel this year, with slight adjustments from previous forecasts. Factors contributing to the subdued oil price outlook include rising supply from OPEC+ and non-OPEC+ producers, slowing demand growth post-summer, and uncertainties from U.S. trade policies. Major…

Ad

The Nigerian Community in South Africa said on Friday that a member was stabbed during a xenophobic attack in Rustenberg, North-West Province area.

The President of Nigerian Union, South Africa, Mr Adetola Olubajo, told our reporter on telephone that the victim, identified as Desmond, was attacked on Feb. 14.

“Desmond is a Nigerian hair piece hawker in Rustenberg, North West Province of South Africa.

“He was attacked on Feb. 14 and sustained multiple injuries. He was rescued when he was about to be set ablaze after being wet with petrol,’’ Olubajo said.

He said that the Nigerian community in Rustenburg was currently living in fear as tension has heightened in the area.

Olubajo said that the union’s executive had visited the city on a fact finding tour and had already spoken to Nigerians in the area.

“Nigerians and their families told us that the situation is very dangerous and that their lives are not safe.

“They also alleged that some group of people were abducting Nigerians and requesting money to bail themselves.

“A Nigerian who couldn’t pay was murdered last month. This same group also looted businesses of foreign nationals, Nigerians in particular,’’ the president said.

Olubajo said the union could not continue to keep quiet on this criminality and xenophobic act meted to Nigerians in South Africa.

He said that there was need for the mission and government to intervene in the matter to avoid further loss of lives and properties of Nigerians.

“There is need for the Nigerian government to engage with its counterpart in South Africa. It’s not correct that those who were attacked and killed are criminals.

“Such statements are misinformation and misleading,’’ he said

Ad

X whatsapp