William, Harry Reveal: How ‘Deceitful’ BBC Interview Led To Princess Diana’s Divorce, Death

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

Obi Slams ECOWAS Over Guinea-Bissau: Calls Out ‘Double Standard’ 

By Abiola Olawale Former Labour Party Presidential candidate Peter Obi has criticized the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), accusing the regional body of applying a glaring "double standard" in its response to the recent political turmoil in Guinea-Bissau. ​In a strong statement released on his X handle on Sunday, titled "Reflecting on the…

Presidency Slams Obasanjo, Says Terrorism Began During His Administration 

By Abiola Olawale The Presidency has criticised former President Olusegun Obasanjo, directly challenging his recent critiques on the nation's security crisis. In a statement issued on Sunday, the Presidency asserted that the foundation of terrorism and extremist violence in Nigeria was laid during Obasanjo's tenure, dismissing the narrative that the current administration inherited a peaceful,…

Atiku slams N17.5trn pipeline security bill, says figure rivals Nigeria’s 12-year subsidy bill

By Obinna Uballa Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has accused President Bola Tinubu’s administration of overseeing what he described as one of the most alarming financial scandals in Nigeria’s history, following revelations that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) spent N17.5 trillion in one year on pipeline and energy security. In a statement issued…

Ad

Princes William and Harry have criticised the media for unethical practices after an investigation concluded that one of the BBC’s journalists used “deceitful behavior” to secure Princess Diana’s most explosive TV interview in 1995.

The Duke of Cambridge blamed BBC failings over its interview with his mother for fuelling her paranoia and worsening his parents’ relationship.

After an inquiry found the BBC fell below its standards, Prince William said he was “most saddened” Diana never learned she had been deceived.

Princess Diana and Prince Harry

He said his mother was failed “not just by a rogue reporter” but by BBC bosses. He blamed a toxic media culture for his mother’s death.

The Met Police said it will assess the new report, after previously deciding against a criminal investigation.

In a separate statement, Prince Harry said the issue was bigger than just the BBC – and that “the ripple effect of a culture of exploitation and unethical practices ultimately took her life.”

“To those who have taken some form of accountability, thank you for owning it. That is the first step toward justice and truth,” he wrote.

“Yet what deeply concerns me is that practices like these-and even worse-are still widespread today.”

The independent inquiry – by retired judge Lord Dyson – found that interviewer Martin Bashir acted in a “deceitful” way and faked documents to obtain his interview.

The BBC’s 1996 probe led by then-head of News and Current Affairs Lord Hall into initial complaints about what happened was “woefully ineffective”, it added.

The BBC has written to apologise to Princes William and Harry, as well as the Prince of Wales and Diana’s brother Earl Spencer.

Matt Wiessler, the graphic designer who first raised concerns about the fake documents used to secure the interview and who was later denied work by the BBC, told Radio 4’s Today programme that an apology sent to him at 22:00 BST on Thursday was “too little, too late”.

He criticised Lord Hall, who led an internal investigation at the time, and then BBC director-general Lord Birt for not apologising to him in person.

Ad

X whatsapp