Why Organised Labour Suspended Strike After Nuhu Ribadu’s Intervention

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

By Ken Afor

From all indications, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) were bent on ensuring that the strike entered its third day but all nerves were calmed after the National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu, issued a statement on behalf the federal government notifying the organised labour of steps taken to meet the demands of their demands regarding the November 1 incident in Owerri, Imo State.

TheNewDiplomat had earlier reported that the Nigerian government through the office of the NSA implored the leadership of the organised labour to terminate the ongoing strike action and enable the existing dialogue process concerning the matters at hand to be accomplished.

Ribadu, the pioneer chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) expressed his deep regret and strongly condemned the incident resulting in the maltreatment of Comrade Joe Ajaero, President of the NLC.

The attack and torture of Ajaero according to Ribadu violate the rule of law as well as the freedoms of expression and association.

To quell the agitations of organised labour, he disclosed that some arrests have been made on those involved in the brutalisation of Ajaero on November 1 in Imo.

This outlet also reported that the NSA further had talks with the leadership of the organised labour.

The outcome of the meeting according to the National Vice President of the TUC, Tommy Etim, was commendable on the part of the NSA for reaching out to them stating that the union representatives were content with the NSA’s actions up until this point.

“We commend the steps taken so far by the NSA. He made us understand that he didn’t see the issue on the ground as a political fight. He also noted that two people have been arrested in line with the brutalisation of Ajaero. Initially, the government felt the strike would not hold. They were shocked to see that we went ahead with our threats.

“We are going to have an extraordinary joint NEC this evening by 7pm and I can tell you there is hope,” he said.

The organised labour were left with the option of suspending the indefinite strike after its extraordinary National Executive Council (NEC) meeting on Wednesday night.

Announcing the suspension of the strike in a statement signed by Comrade Emmanuel Ugbaja, the NLC General Secretary and Comrade Nuhu Toro, the Secretary General, (TUC), the two labour centers said that the suspension was intended to facilitate further discussions after the federal

The statement read: “Sequel to the emergency joint National Executive Council (NEC) meeting of the NLC and TUC today, the 15th day of November, 2023 in which a thorough review of the offers presented by the federal government through the National Security Adviser during its earlier meeting with the leadership of both centers was made, a resolution was reached to suspend the ongoing nationwide strike, which commenced on the 14th November, 2023.

“This suspension is intended to facilitate further discussions after the federal government had met our crucial demands to address the distressing abduction and brutalization of the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Comrade Joe Ajaero, and others.

“These incidents occurred at the hands of the Police and Governor Hope Uzodimma’s thugs in Owerri, Imo state, on the 1st day of November, 2023.

“An apology was tendered on behalf of the government by The NSA, who promised to coordinate the investigation. Some of the perpetrators have been arrested, and we were given high assurances that all others will be fished out and prosecuted.

“High-powered investigation is currently being carried out and the leadership of the labour centers will be briefed continuously as progress is being made.

“We extend our commendation and salute to all affiliates and state councils for their unwavering commitment and tenacity, which contributed to the success of the nationwide strike.

“Therefore, all affiliates and State councils of both the NLC and TUC are hereby directed to demobilize, cease any further escalation of the indefinite strike action, and fully resume work tomorrow, Thursday, the 16th day of November, 2023.

“Once again, we convey our appreciation for your cooperation, resilience, and determination in ensuring the success of the indefinite nationwide strike.

“We encourage you to remain vigilant as we await the fulfillment of the remaining agreements.”

Ad

X whatsapp