Video: EndSARS Protesters Storm Port Harcourt, Defy Wike

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

The Jollof Rice Rivalry: From Banter to Collaborative Culinary Unity – An Analysis of a Proposal for Standardization

By Sonny Iroche Introduction The Jollof rice rivalry, a light-hearted yet fervent debate among West Africans, particularly between Nigerians, Ghanaians, and Senegalese, has transcended kitchens and spilled into social media, music, and even international diplomacy. At its core, this rivalry centers on claims of superiority in preparing Jollof rice, a vibrant, tomato-based rice dish flavored…

‘Your bitterness Against Tinubu is well known,’ Lagos APC Blasts Obasanjo

By Obinna Uballa The Lagos State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has fired back at former President Olusegun Obasanjo for reportedly describing President Bola Tinubu’s administration as “competing with Buhari in incompetence.” Obasanjo made the remark in his new book, Nigeria: Past and Future, launched in March alongside Lest We Forget: Slavery, Slave…

Ad

By Gbenga Abulude (Politics & General Desk)

The EndSARS protesters on Tuesday have begun their protests in Port Harcourt, the state capital, defying the order by Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike banning all forms of protests against police brutality in the state.

A great number of youths marched towards the Pleasure Park on Aba Road and gathered at a place opposite the park.EndSars

Read also: #EndSARS: Why Wike Banned Protests Against Police Brutality In Rivers

The protesters chanted and sang, insisting Wike had no right to ban a peaceful protest.

https://twitter.com/TutuAbbey/status/1315934562673995776?s=19

The youths blocked the busy Aba Road and caused traffic gridlock on the highway, carrying various placards with the inscription “EndSARS”, “No to Police Brutality”.

The Governor in a statement issued on Monday by the Rivers State Commissioner for Information, Paulinus Nsirim, said the ban covers all protests against police brutality holding in different parts of Nigeria.

“The Rivers State Government hereby wish to inform the general public that all forms of protests have been banned throughout the State.

“Therefore, all proposed protests under EndSars Campaign are hereby prohibited.

“Government took this decision because the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, had already scrapped the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.

“Therefore, there is no need for any form of protest against a Unit of the Police Force that no longer exists.”

The Governor’s action has drawn harsh criticisms for announcing a ban on all forms of protests and for violating citizen’s rights.

The New Diplomat had reported on Monday that #EndSARS protesters demonstrated at different areas of Lagos causing traffic logjam at Lekki, Alausa in Ikeja, Ikorodu Road, Surulere, Yaba and Ojota among others, and paralyzing business activities.

Read also: IGP Disbands FSARS Nationwide, Heeds #EndSARS Call

A protester was reportedly killed by the police and another was injured during the protest.

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu addressed the protesters in Lekki who blocked the expressway, urging them to be decorous and peaceful while expressing their grievances against the excessive use of force by SARS.

Sanwo-Olu had said he will be meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari, today to present the further demands made by End SARS protesters following the dissolution of Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

 

Ad

X whatsapp