Why We ‘Ve Not Arraigned Evans – Police

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer
Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

Reasons were given by the police high command this morning (Thursday) why notorious kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, popularly known as Evans, decided to drag the Nigeria Police to court over his continuous detention.

Evans had on Wednesday dragged the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, the Police Service Commission, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni and the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad to the Federal High Court in Lagos.

In the suit filed by a Lagos-based lawyer, Olukoya Ogungbeje, Evans is claiming that his continued detention is an abridgement of his fundamental human rights.

However, sources at the high command said that it was Evans’ gang members who are yet to be arrested that sought for and got the services of Ogungbeje to frustrate further investigation into the case.

A source said: “Evans gang members who wanted him to go to court before Police will finish investigations that have been leading to their exposure and arrests, hired a lawyer who sued the Lagos State Commissioner of Police and OC SARS.

“They are insisting that Evans should be charged to court.”

It was however, gathered that the Police IRT team expected such a sharp move early enough. The police IRT, it was learnt had equally secured an order of the Federal High Court to detain Evans for at least three months.

The order, police sources told newsmen, was secured last week Thursday. The order covered Evans and all his gang members who have so far been arrested. They are to remain in Police custody for three months.

The source said this is to enable the Police conclude all investigations in Nigeria, Ghana and South Africa so that all those involved in the kidnapping ring run by Evans would be brought to book.

The source added: “Unfortunately for them, we can also renew the order after three months, which is what they failed to take into cognizance,” the police said. “But I am sure we will not even need up to that.

“And their running helter skelter is even helping us as they are daily making mistakes that have been further exposing them.”

Ad

X whatsapp