Trump Denies Being Probed For `Broader’ Financial Fraud

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer
President Donald Trump speaks about the PREVENTS "President's Roadmap to Empower Veterans and End a National Tragedy of Suicide," task force, in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, June 17, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Ad

Presidency Slams Obasanjo, Says Terrorism Began During His Administration 

By Abiola Olawale The Presidency has criticised former President Olusegun Obasanjo, directly challenging his recent critiques on the nation's security crisis. In a statement issued on Sunday, the Presidency asserted that the foundation of terrorism and extremist violence in Nigeria was laid during Obasanjo's tenure, dismissing the narrative that the current administration inherited a peaceful,…

Atiku slams N17.5trn pipeline security bill, says figure rivals Nigeria’s 12-year subsidy bill

By Obinna Uballa Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has accused President Bola Tinubu’s administration of overseeing what he described as one of the most alarming financial scandals in Nigeria’s history, following revelations that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) spent N17.5 trillion in one year on pipeline and energy security. In a statement issued…

Way Forward: Experts, Policy Leaders Affirm Africa’s Energy Future rests on Technologies As Solewant Group ends 9th Summit

By Pleasure Onohwakpo Policy makers, energy experts, the academia, diplomats, captains of industry, amongst other stakeholders in the oil and gas sector, have unanimously affirmed that for Africa’s energy development to be assured, there must be emphasis on and investment in the training, acquisition and application of emerging technologies to drive it. This was the…

Ad

U.S. President Donald Trump has dismissed claims by Manhattan District Attorney, Cyrus Vance, that he was being investigated for ‘ broader’ financial and insurance fraud.

In a court filing, Trump’s lawyers argued that the probe was about hush-money he allegedly paid sex workers through his former lawyer and fixer, Michael Cohen, in 2016.

The motion, filed at a federal court in New York, is Trump’s latest attempt to shoot down Vance’s request for eight years of his personal and corporate tax records.Fraud new, broader financial, district attorney

Read also: Shock As Actress, Sophie Alakija’s Marriage To Nigeria’s Richest Woman’s Son, Wale Alakija Crashes

It was in response to a motion by the district attorney to dismiss the president’s fresh efforts to block the subpoena without delay.

The president’s legal team insisted that the district attorney’s subpoena was“ overbroad and issued in bad faith, and amounted to harassment.”

Vance suggested last week that Trump’s company was also being investigated for potential fraud after the subpoena was thought to be part of a grand jury probe focusing on the hush payments.

“The president plausibly alleges that the grand jury investigation is about certain payments made in 2016, not some murky inquiry into broader financial practices,’’ the lawyers said in the motion.

Read also: Edo 2020: Respite For Obaseki As Ogbeide-Ihama Withdraws Case, Steps Down

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Trump launched the fresh bid to protect his tax returns on July 28 after the Supreme Court ruled he was not immuned to criminal probe.

(NAN)

Ad

X whatsapp