Trolling: Minister Rallies Support For Napoli’s Osimhen, Other Nigerian athletes

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Oil Prices Slip on Oversupply Concerns

Oil prices slipped in early Asian trading on Thursday, giving back some of the previous session’s gains as traders prepared for the end of the summer driving season and closely watched trade tensions between the U.S. and India. At the time of writing, West Texas Intermediate (WTI) was down 39 cents, or 0.61%, at $63.76…

Tinubu Departs Brazil for Nigeria After State Visit

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has concluded a three-day state visit to Brazil, departing the country for Abuja on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. The New Diplomat reports that the presidential jet took off from Brasília International Airport Air Force Base, with a ceremonial send-off attended by Brazil’s Secretary for Africa and the Middle…

President’s son jailed 6 years in fraud case as power tussle soars in Equatorial Guinea

• Two brothers at war over who succeeds Nguema Mbasogo By Obinna Uballa An Equatorial Guinea court has sentenced Ruslan Obiang Nsue, son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, to six years in prison for illegally selling a plane belonging to the state airline, Ceiba Intercontinental, a case analysts say reflects growing rivalry within the…

Ad

By Agency Report

Minister of Sports Development, Sen. John Owan Enoh, says he is committed to ensuring Nigerian athletes are accorded due respect and not discriminated against.

The minister said this on Thursday in Abuja against the backdrop of a video on Napoli’s official TikTok which appeared to mock Super Eagles forward Victor Osimhen over a penalty miss.

Osimhen had missed a penalty kick during Napoli’s 0-0 draw with Bologna in a recent Serie A match.

Osimhen subsequently threatened to sue Napoli FC for the post, but the post has now been deleted.

The minister said he was saddened by the incident and exploring ways to ensure Nigerian athletes are treated with dignity always.

He said he was committed to rallying support for Osimhen, Tobi Amusan and other Nigerian athletes who might need encouragement.

“Over the past weekend, the developments that came out of Napoli as it pertains Super Eagles forward, Victor Osimhen, saddened me greatly.

“The travails of Tobi Amusan have been no less so. This necessitated why, last week, I made efforts to reach her directly.

“Moreso, my office is making efforts to reach Victor Osimhen directly as well, so as to understand first hand what the issues are.

“We are committed to establishing the facts of the matter,” he said.

Enoh said his office was working closely with the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Nigerian Ambassador to Italy and other stakeholders to find a diplomatic resolution to the issue.

“I am also in touch with the Honourable Minister of Foreign Affairs, H.E. Yusuf Maitama Tuggar, as well as the Nigerian Ambassador to the Republic of Italy, Ambassador Mfawa Abam.

“Together, we are employing diplomatic avenues with Italy for a more decorous approach in looking into the matter as it is,” he said.

The minister said the Tinubu-led administration would continue to ensure that Nigerian sports men and women were accorded the respect they deserved and not exposed to injustice and discrimination.

“Upon assumption of office, I made it abundantly clear, in words and deeds that the welfare of our athletes, be they home-based or foreign-based, would be our topmost priority, as we create the environment that enables and ensures their continued success,” he added. (NAN)

Ad

X whatsapp