Tension Escalates in Middle East as Israel Vows to Retaliate Against Iranian Attack

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Why Guinea-Bissau Coup is More Painful Than 2015 Election Loss– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has described the recent military coup in Guinea-Bissau, which halted a nearly completed electoral process, as a deeper personal blow than his own 2015 presidential election defeat. ​In a statement following his evacuation from the West African nation where he was serving as an election observer, Jonathan…

Just In: APC Disowns Goodluck Jonathan Amid 2023 Antics

Kano Govt Demands Immediate Arrest of Ex-Governor Ganduje Over Security Comments

By Abiola Olawale The Kano State Executive Council has called for the immediate investigation and arrest of the former Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, following what it describes as "inciting and reckless" public comments concerning the state's security situation. The demand, raised after a State Executive Council meeting on Thursday, accused the former governor of…

(VIDEO) Obasanjo backs foreign intervention as insecurity worsens, slams FG’s approach

By Obinna Uballa Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has called on the Federal Government to halt all negotiations with terrorists and seek international assistance to tackle Nigeria’s worsening insecurity. Obasanjo issued the warning on Friday while speaking at the Plateau State Unity Christmas Carol and Praise Festival in Jos, amid a wave of killings and mass…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

A full-blown regional war is brewing in the Middle East as Israel vowed to respond to Iran’s missiles fired at the country in the late hours of Tuesday.

This is as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared that Iran made a “mistake” by attacking his country.

He also vowed that there would be consequences for the attack.

Reacting after the attack, Netanyahu said: “Iran made a big mistake tonight and it will pay for it.”

Also, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi, following an assessment of the attack announced that Israel will respond to the Iranian attack.

According to him, Israel will choose how and when it will respond to the Iranian attack.

He said: “We proved our ability to prevent the enemy from achievement by combining exemplary civil behaviour and a very strong air defence array.”

“We will choose when to exact the price and prove our precise and surprising attack capabilities by the guidance of the political echelon.”

This comes on the heels of the Iranian attack on Israel.

The New Diplomat reports that in the late hours of Tuesday, Iranian forces said it had fired a barrage of missiles into Israel’s territory.

The Iranian forces said the attack is targeted at three military bases around Israel’s commercial hub Tel Aviv.

It would be recalled that this latest attack comes after an Israeli strike on Beirut last Friday which killed the leader of Hezbollah, Hassan Nasrallah.

Nasrallah was killed alongside General Abbas Nilforoushan, a top commander of the Quds Force, the IRGC’s foreign operations arm.

Following the killings, Iran had vowed that Nilforoushan’s killing would “not go unanswered”.

Also, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian during his address at last month’s UN General Assembly in New York, accused Israel of warmongering, saying Iran was exercising restraint in the face of provocation.

It would be recalled that Tuesday’s attack was Iran’s second on Israel this year.

Iran had launched a missile and drone attack in April in retaliation for a deadly Israeli air strike on its consulate in Damascus.

However, the US claimed it intercepted nearly all of the missiles and drones fired in that attack.

Ad

X whatsapp