FG To Striking Doctors: We ‘ll Implement ‘No Work, No Pay’

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer
FG To Striking Doctors We 'll Implement ‘No Work, No Pay’

Ad

Nsukka Catholic Diocese Grieves Loss of Bishop Emeritus Francis Okobo at 89

By Abiola Olawale The Catholic community in Nsukka, Enugu State has been engulfed by tears following the passing of Most Rev. Dr. Francis Emmanuel Ogbonna Okobo, Bishop Emeritus of the Nsukka Catholic Diocese. It was gathered that Okobo passed away on Friday, August 29, 2025, at the age of 89. The revered cleric, who served…

Anticipation as Tottenham Accelerates Transfer Chase for Atalanta’s Ademola Lookman

By Abiola Olawale English football club, Tottenham Hotspur is reportedly intensifying negotiations to sign Atalanta’s star forward Ademola Lookman as the summer transfer window approaches its September 1 deadline. It was gathered that Lookman, a 27-year-old Nigerian international, has reportedly caught the eye of Tottenham. Lookman is also reportedly eager to return to the Premier…

Oil Prices Aren’t Likely To Rise Anytime Soon

Analysts surveyed by Reuters expect Brent Crude to average $67.65 per barrel and WTI Crude to average $64.65 per barrel this year, with slight adjustments from previous forecasts. Factors contributing to the subdued oil price outlook include rising supply from OPEC+ and non-OPEC+ producers, slowing demand growth post-summer, and uncertainties from U.S. trade policies. Major…

Ad

The Nigerian Government, Friday, told the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) that it will implement the ‘no work, no pay’ if the ongoing strike persists.

This Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, disclosed this during an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today

His statement reads: “By Tuesday, I will invite them back. If they become recalcitrant, there are other things I can do. There are weapons in the Labour Laws, I will invoke them. There is no work, no pay,” Ngige said.

“Their employers have a role also to keep their business afloat, to keep patients alive. They can employ local doctors. We won’t get there but if we are going to get there, we will use that stick.”

Speaking further, Ngige noted that the current hazard allowance of ₦5,000 for doctors was fixed in 1992, noting that it was fair and just.

Ngige added that the former President of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Dr Francis Adedayo Faduyile, had in the past called the attention of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo to the development who described the figure as criminal.

The minister explained that the federal government would review the amount in five weeks’ time, although he didn’t disclose the proposed figure.

“It is the last NMA President Faduyile that called my attention that the hazard (allowance) was ₦5,000. I raised it with the Finance Minister and the Vice President in the Economic Sustainability Meeting. In fact, to use the words of the Vice President, he said it is criminal, that it shouldn’t happen.

“The new hazard allowance will be done in the next five weeks. It is in the Memorandum of Action that we signed. Immediately after the Easter break, I will convene a meeting to look at it holistically,” he added.

Recall that the resident doctors had on Thursday embarked on an indefinite strike to protest alleged failure by the federal government to fulfil its obligation to them.

They had earlier met with the federal government’s team on Wednesday over their grievances, and rejected the proposal put forward by the government on how to make up for the shortcomings in the implementation of the Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) between both parties.

Ad

X whatsapp