Strikes Cast Shadow over Ford’s South African Investment Prospects

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Way Forward: Experts Affirm Africa’s Energy Future Development Depends on Emerging Technologies, As Solewant Group Hosts 9th Summit

• Celebrates Silver Jubilee By John Oghojafor Policy makers, energy experts, the academia, diplomats, captains of industry, amongst other stakeholders in the oil and gas sector, have unanimously affirmed that for Africa’s energy development to be assured, there must be emphasis on and investment in the training, acquisition and application of emerging technologies to drive…

Reno Omokri Appreciates Tinubu for ‘Christlike’ Ambassadorial Nomination

By Abiola Olawale Former presidential aide and prominent social commentator, Reno Omokri, has expressed gratitude to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu following his nomination as a non-career ambassador-designate. Omokri, known for his vocal opposition to the President before the nomination, described the gesture as "Christlike," emphasizing the theme of forgiveness and national unity. In a statement…

‘Embarrassing, Insensitive’: ADC Slams Tinubu’s Nomination of Former INEC Chair as Ambassador 

By Abiola Olawale ​The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has criticized President Bola Ahmed Tinubu's inclusion of the immediate past Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in his list of ambassadorial nominees, labeling the decision as both "embarrassing and insensitive." ​The nomination was part of a list of 32 additional ambassadorial nominees sent to…

Ad

U.S. carmaker Ford is hesitant about investing further in its South African operation because of repeated production stoppages caused by strikes, its regional chief said on Thursday.

The South African auto industry, which accounts for about 6 percent of the continent’s most developed economy, has been hit directly and indirectly by four strikes in the past year.

“A challenge for us here in South Africa is convincing our board to continue to invest in a country where the stability of output is a little less certain than in other countries,” Jeff Nemeth, president of Ford’s South African business, told reporters.Ford

Read also: 10 Ministers Contract Coronavirus Disease

Carmakers resumed production in September after a four-week strike by 220,000 metalworkers. Last year a strike by auto workers cost the industry $2 billion in lost output, followed by a strike in the auto parts sector and another by truck drivers who haul vehicles to ports and dealerships.

“Year after year after year, having that much of your output constrained by labour actions, you don’t have a clear view of what your output might be,” Nemeth said. “That will have an impact in our investment decisions.”

Ford sells about 6,000 vehicles a month in South Africa, making it the third-largest supplier behind Toyota and Volkswagen. It also exports vehicles.

 

Ad

X whatsapp