Sowore Dares Wike, Declares That Chains of Nationwide Protests Will Start in Abuja

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Nominates Mahmud Yakubu, Fani-Kayode, Omokri, Others as Ambassadors

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has forwarded a fresh list of 32 ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for screening and confirmation. The list features a mix of seasoned career diplomats and high-profile non-career appointees, including several notable political figures whose nominations have instantly generated significant public discourse. ​This second batch of nominations comes…

Why Guinea-Bissau Coup is More Painful Than 2015 Election Loss– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has described the recent military coup in Guinea-Bissau, which halted a nearly completed electoral process, as a deeper personal blow than his own 2015 presidential election defeat. ​In a statement following his evacuation from the West African nation where he was serving as an election observer, Jonathan…

Kano Govt Demands Immediate Arrest of Ex-Governor Ganduje Over Security Comments

By Abiola Olawale The Kano State Executive Council has called for the immediate investigation and arrest of the former Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, following what it describes as "inciting and reckless" public comments concerning the state's security situation. The demand, raised after a State Executive Council meeting on Thursday, accused the former governor of…

Ad

By The New Diplomat political Desk

Former presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), Omoyele Sowore, has challenged the Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, for saying that protests in Abuja on August 1 would not be permitted.

Sowore, in a post on his social media platform, unequivocally stated that the planned nationwide protests would commence in Abuja and emphasized, “It is starting from Abuja”

The New Diplomat reports that the declaration from Sowore was made in response to Wike’s announcement that August 1 had been designated for the chairmen of the six Area Councils of the FCT to confer certificates of recognition upon their traditional rulers.

It would be recalled that Wike issued this warning while briefing with journalists following the FCT Security Council meeting held in Abuja on Thursday.

The Minister had said that the proposed Nationwide protest scheduled to begin on August 1st would not be allowed in Abuja.

It would be recalled also that several Nigerians are organizing and participating in a nationwide protest scheduled to take place from August 1 to August 10, 2024.

This movement, identified with the hashtag #EndBadGovernance” is said to be prompted by concerns about widespread hunger and inflation in the country.

Ad

X whatsapp