South African Communities Ask Nigerians To Leave In 2 Days

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

U.S. Oil Output Beats Weekly Estimates in June

U.S. crude oil production hit a new record in June at 13.58 million barrels per day, according to the Energy Information Administration’s latest Petroleum Supply Monthly. That’s 133,000 barrels more than May and 2.5 percent higher than a year ago. The new monthly figures also show a sharp disconnect from the EIA’s weekly estimates. For…

Zelenskyy fumes as ex-Ukrainian parliament speaker is shot dead

By Obinna Uballa Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has condemned the killing of former parliament speaker Andriy Parubiy as a “horrendous murder,” vowing that every resource will be deployed to track down the attacker. “All necessary forces and means are engaged in the investigation and search for the killer,” Zelenskyy said in a statement on social…

Rivers Crisis: Fubara will return as governor after September 18, Wike declares

• Hails LG election as peaceful By Obinna Uballa Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has assured that Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, and the State House of Assembly will resume their constitutional duties once the emergency rule in the state expires on September 18. Wike, who spoke to journalists on Saturday…

Ad

The Nigeria Union in South Africa on Wednesday accused two communities in that country of ordering Nigerians to quit the territories.

President of the union, Mr. Ikechukwu Anyene, said the Kuruman community in Northern Cape Province gave Nigerians till Thursday to leave the place.

Anyene also said the Klaafontein community, Extension 5, Johannesburg, directed landlords not to renew the rent of Nigerians in the area.

He said the grievance of the South Africans was that Nigerians were responsible for some social vices such as illicit drug trade and prostitution.

Anyene said: “The Nigeria union held series of meetings with the affected communities as well as police and local authorities on the recent threats to Nigerians.

“We have also written reports on these incidents and sent to the Nigerian Mission and the South African police.

“We recommended interventions before the June 16 deadline to the mission and we are waiting for their response.

“The union is worried that any incident involving non -South Africans are attributed to Nigerians.”

Anyene said a Ugandan man, who allegedly raped a girl in Kwazulu Natal Province, was described as a Nigerian in the media.
“The union believes that the Early Warning Unit set up by Nigerian and South African governments has not been effective.

“We are yet to have any meeting since the ministers of the two countries met.
“Since then, there have been sustained media propaganda against our people here,” Anyene adde

Ad

X whatsapp