South Africa Sacks Coach After Outburst

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

Ephraim Mashaba has been sacked as South Africa Coach, despite leading the side to a crucial World Cup qualifying victory over Senegal last month, the country’s football association confirmed on Thursday.

A disciplinary committee found Mashaba guilty of several offences following his public outburst aimed at the association’s President Danny Jordaan and guests directly after the 2-1 victory over Senegal on Nov. 12.

Mashaba, who has had several scrapes with South African Football Association (SAFA) officials during four stints in charge of the side, was reportedly unhappy at what he perceived was a lack of support from his superiors.

“Due to the seriousness of the coach’s actions, we had to release our head coach with immediate effect,” SAFA CEO Dennis Mumble said in a statement.

“We shall immediately institute a search for a new head coach familiar with African football competition, who will be expected to continue the quest to qualify for the world’s apex football competition.”

South Africa are second in their qualification pool, behind Burkina Faso on goal-difference, having managed four points from their opening two games.

Only the top team in each pool will advance to the 2018 tournament in Russia.

The side did not qualify for the African Nations Cup finals in Gabon starting on Jan. 14 and are next in action when the 2019 Nations Cup qualifiers kick off in March.

Ad

X whatsapp