Sierra Leone Arrests Coup Leaders, Reinforces Anglophone Africa’s Relative Stability

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Louis Achi

Leaders of the Sunday, November 26 coup attempt in Sierra Leone have been arrested, the Anglophone country’s authorities have said.

The swift put-down of the attempted military coup in Sierra Leone by the authorities reinforces Anglophone Africa’s relative political stability contrasting with its Francophone block despite its warts, pimples and all.

Some troops had attacked a major armoury early Sunday with the obvious intent to capture arms with which to prosecute what would have been a military coup.

But according to the New York Times and Reuters, President Julius Maada Bio of Sierra Leone has declared that leaders of the attacks have been arrested and calm restored.

Bio spoke on a nation-wide state-owned television channel in which he admitted that several security spaces in Freetown, particularly the armoury at the Wilberforce military barracks and the Pademba Road Prison came under attack.

An unidentified spokesperson of the coupists was quoted by global media platforms as saying, “We’ll clean this society. We know what we are up to. We are not after any ordinary civilians who should go about their normal business”. .

Had the coup succeeded, it would have meant Africa’s coup syndrome ravaging Francophone Africa crossing into British-West Africa.

ECOWAS and the United States are the earliest geopolitical actors to condemn the development in Sierra Leone but with most global media platforms, particularly The New York Times and Reuters saying that the political situation in the country has been tense in the aftermath of Maada Bio’s re-election earlier this year.

The 59-year-old president himself, said The New York Times, took part in two coups during Sierra Leone’s civil war in the 1990s.

The two media houses added that the results of the election which brought him to power was rejected by his main opponent and questioned by some observers “who cited a lack of transparency”.

Ad

X whatsapp