Siasia, Conte differ on Mikel

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer
new-diplomat default image
new-diplomat default image

Ad

Obi Slams ECOWAS Over Guinea-Bissau: Calls Out ‘Double Standard’ 

By Abiola Olawale Former Labour Party Presidential candidate Peter Obi has criticized the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), accusing the regional body of applying a glaring "double standard" in its response to the recent political turmoil in Guinea-Bissau. ​In a strong statement released on his X handle on Sunday, titled "Reflecting on the…

Presidency Slams Obasanjo, Says Terrorism Began During His Administration 

By Abiola Olawale The Presidency has criticised former President Olusegun Obasanjo, directly challenging his recent critiques on the nation's security crisis. In a statement issued on Sunday, the Presidency asserted that the foundation of terrorism and extremist violence in Nigeria was laid during Obasanjo's tenure, dismissing the narrative that the current administration inherited a peaceful,…

Atiku slams N17.5trn pipeline security bill, says figure rivals Nigeria’s 12-year subsidy bill

By Obinna Uballa Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has accused President Bola Tinubu’s administration of overseeing what he described as one of the most alarming financial scandals in Nigeria’s history, following revelations that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) spent N17.5 trillion in one year on pipeline and energy security. In a statement issued…

Ad

Former Super Eagles head coach, Samson Siasia claims Mikel John Obi is ready to quit English Premier League club, Chelsea.

Mikel is yet to play competitively for the Blues this term under manager, Antonio Conte.

Siasia who coached Mikel at the 2016 Olympics in Brazil, where the Nigerian men’s Under-23 team won bronze, has now declared that Mikel is heading towards the exit door at Stamford Bridge.

“He is ready to quit Chelsea because he said this man (Conte) does not have anything for him and that was what he told me before he came down to the Olympics.

“That was why they bought (N’Golo) Kante.

“It will be better for him to leave now because he has done very well after 11 years at Chelsea, not even Didier Drogba last that long there.

“He already has a British passport and two daughters, he has done very well and will now leave,” Siasia said.

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte however shares a different opinion over the situation of the Super Eagles captain.

The Italian manager last week suggested Mikel will stay put until next summer.

He said Mikel is still an integral member of the squad and that he will be staying put for the foreseeable future.

“The situation with Obi Mikel is simple: he’s in the squad. He stays with us,” said Conte.

The 29-year-old is yet to make an appearance this season with N’Golo Kante, Nemanja Matic and Cesc Fabregas ahead of him in the pecking order.

He missed the start of the campaign because he opted to represent his country in the Olympic Games.

Mikel is out of contract at the end of the season but could seal a move away from Stamford Bridge when the transfer window reopens.

Ad

X whatsapp