By Obinna Uballa
The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has filed a lawsuit against Senate President Godswill Akpabio and House of Representatives Speaker Tajudeen Abbas over their alleged failure to account for N18.6 billion earmarked for the construction of the National Assembly Service Commission (NASC) office complex.
SERAP last week lodged the suit, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/2457/2025, before the Federal High Court in Abuja, listing Akpabio and Abbas as defendants on behalf of all federal lawmakers, and naming the NASC as a respondent.
In a statement on Sunday, SERAP’s Deputy Director, Kolawole Oluwadare, said the action was prompted by “grave allegations” contained in the 2022 annual report of the Auditor-General of the Federation, released on 9 September 2025.
According to details from the report, the NASC allegedly paid over ₦11.6bn to “an unknown construction company” on 11 August 2020 for the construction of its office complex within 24 months. The Auditor-General further alleged that the contract was later inflated by ₦6.9bn, with the additional sum purportedly paid to the same company on 29 November 2023 for the “conversion of the roof garden to office space.”
SERAP noted that both contracts were reportedly awarded without a Bill of Quantity, needs assessment, newspaper advertisement, competitive bidding, contract agreement, bidders’ quotations, or approval by the Federal Executive Council. The Bureau of Public Procurement also allegedly did not issue a Certificate of “No Objection.”
The Auditor-General expressed concerns that the entire ₦18.6bn “may have been diverted, misappropriated or stolen,” prompting SERAP’s demand for a full public accounting.
Through its legal team—Kolawole Oluwadare, Kehinde Oyewumi and Andrew Nwankwo—SERAP is seeking an order of mandamus compelling Akpabio, Abbas and the NASC to explain the whereabouts of the funds.
The group is also asking the court to compel the disclosure of the company that allegedly received the money, along with all related documents, including assessment reports, bid advertisements, quotations, contract papers, Tender Board minutes and any FEC approval.
SERAP argued that the alleged diversion of the ₦18.6bn violates the 1999 Constitution and international anti-corruption obligations, insisting that Nigerians “have the right to know” how the money was spent.
The organisation said the reliefs sought would promote transparency, support efforts to recover any misappropriated funds and strengthen public confidence in democratic institutions.
Citing constitutional provisions and Nigeria’s commitments under the United Nations Convention against Corruption, SERAP emphasised that public officials must prevent corruption and manage national resources responsibly.
No date has yet been scheduled for hearing.
The lawsuit follows SERAP’s earlier demand, made on 19 October, urging Akpabio and Abbas to address the alleged missing funds.


