Sad! Ibrahimovic Career May End Abruptly Over Betting Company Investment

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

 

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is facing a three-year ban for investing in a Malta-based betting company, which could bring the footballer’s career to a premature and abrupt end as a result of the ban dangling on his head.

According to Swedish newspaper, Aftonbladet, Ibrahimovic owns ten per cent of Bethard, a gambling company with offices in Malta, through his business Unknown AB.

Both FIFA and UEFA do not let players have financial interests in gambling companies.

FIFA’s ethical rules say that anyone who violates them faces a fine and a ban from all football activities for a maximum of three years.

Report said the Swedish FA were aware of the problem and it’s the reason the player didn’t feature in the 2018 World Cup.

Ibrahimovic had already retired from international football in 2016 but made his return ahead of this summer’s Euros.

Reports added that his company is the fourth largest shareholder in Bethard and it made a profit after tax of £25.79m in 2019 alone.

He was announced as a co-owner and ambassador for the brand three years ago.

Ibrahimovic said at the time: “I have obviously been intensively courted by betting companies throughout my career, but up until now I have not been presented to anything that has triggered me.

“With Bethard, there was something different. It’s a company with Swedish roots, the founders are from my home town and they are true challengers who really wants to do things differently.”

Reacting to the development, Swedish FA general secretary Hakan Sjjstrand said this week: “I do not speculate on possible sanctions.

“But of course continue to push for clarity in Fifa’s regulations as there is frankly a lot of ambiguity in how it should be interpreted.”

Also, Bethard CEO, Erik Sharp in an email quoted by the UK Sun said: “These are questions that should be asked to FIFA.

“We have an agreement with Zlatan that we follow and if problems arise, we will handle it together with him.”

Neither Ibrahimovic nor his representatives have commented on the issue as at the time of this reporting.

However, the Sun reported FIFA’s ethical rules state that anyone who violates the rules faces a fine and a ban from all football-related activities for a maximum of three years.

The striker is still expected to play for Sweden at Euro 2020 this summer, but now there is much uncertainty on Ibrahimovic’s future.

Ad

X whatsapp