Resident doctors shifts natiionwide strike by 2 weeks

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Nominates Mahmud Yakubu, Fani-Kayode, Omokri, Others as Ambassadors

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has forwarded a fresh list of 32 ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for screening and confirmation. The list features a mix of seasoned career diplomats and high-profile non-career appointees, including several notable political figures whose nominations have instantly generated significant public discourse. ​This second batch of nominations comes…

Why Guinea-Bissau Coup is More Painful Than 2015 Election Loss– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has described the recent military coup in Guinea-Bissau, which halted a nearly completed electoral process, as a deeper personal blow than his own 2015 presidential election defeat. ​In a statement following his evacuation from the West African nation where he was serving as an election observer, Jonathan…

Kano Govt Demands Immediate Arrest of Ex-Governor Ganduje Over Security Comments

By Abiola Olawale The Kano State Executive Council has called for the immediate investigation and arrest of the former Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, following what it describes as "inciting and reckless" public comments concerning the state's security situation. The demand, raised after a State Executive Council meeting on Thursday, accused the former governor of…

Ad

The National Association of Resident Doctors of Nigeria (NARD) has shifted its planned nationwide strike by two weeks.

The strike, which was to commence on April 25, will now begin on May 9.

Muhammad Askira, national president of the association, made the disclosure while addressing a news conference in Kano on Sunday.

Askira said the decision to shift the date was taken after the extraordinary meeting of the national executive council of the association held on April 26 in Sokoto.

He said after deliberations on the progress made so far, the NEC decided to shift the strike by two weeks.

According to him, the decision to shift the strike followed the prompt intervention of President Muhammadu Buhari during a meeting with NMA National leadership as contained in a statement released by his media aide.

Askira said the NEC decision followed the genuine efforts and commitment by the minister of health and his management team as well as the intervention of the national assembly to ensure amicable resolution of the dispute.

“The NEC had also resolved to direct our branches in Osun, specifically LAUTECH Teaching Hospital Osogbo, to immediately suspend the seven month old strike,” he said.

“This is to enable the implementation of the agreement reached with the government of Osun on April 15 in Osogbo.”

He urged the federal government to ensure that all their demands were met as agreed during the negotiation meeting on April 11 to avoid industrial action.

“We hope the government will meet our demands before the expiration of the deadline so that the strike will be averted in the interest of the country,” he said.

 

Ad

X whatsapp