Refineries: Inviting Obasanjo On Pages Of Newspapers Disrespectful, Obasanjo’s Aide Blasts Mele Kyari, NNPCL

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Oil Prices Slip on Oversupply Concerns

Oil prices slipped in early Asian trading on Thursday, giving back some of the previous session’s gains as traders prepared for the end of the summer driving season and closely watched trade tensions between the U.S. and India. At the time of writing, West Texas Intermediate (WTI) was down 39 cents, or 0.61%, at $63.76…

Tinubu Departs Brazil for Nigeria After State Visit

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has concluded a three-day state visit to Brazil, departing the country for Abuja on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. The New Diplomat reports that the presidential jet took off from Brasília International Airport Air Force Base, with a ceremonial send-off attended by Brazil’s Secretary for Africa and the Middle…

President’s son jailed 6 years in fraud case as power tussle soars in Equatorial Guinea

• Two brothers at war over who succeeds Nguema Mbasogo By Obinna Uballa An Equatorial Guinea court has sentenced Ruslan Obiang Nsue, son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, to six years in prison for illegally selling a plane belonging to the state airline, Ceiba Intercontinental, a case analysts say reflects growing rivalry within the…

Ad

By Kolawole Ojebisi

A Former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s aide, Kehinde Akinyemi has said extending an invitation to a former President on the pages of newspaper by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation Limited (NNPCL )is not only an insult but also very disrespectful to the status of an ex-number one citizen of the country.

Akinyemi said this while reacting to the invitation extended to former President Obasanjo in an interview with Saturday PUNCH.

The ex-president’s aide said such an open invitation was disrespectful to Obasanjo’s office and person.

He stressed that the oil company had not sent any formal invitation to him as of Thursday, January 2, 2024.

“Is that the right way to invite a former president of the country? Who says Baba has even seen the statement or read the news? It is a total disrespect for the office of the former president.

“Ask the NNPCL that as of January 2, have they written to him? Is there any official letter addressed to him, inviting him to the refinery? It is an absolute insult, and the former president cannot dignify such with a response,” Obasanjo’s aide stated.

Recall that the NNPCL had, through its spokesperson, Olufemi Soneye, invited the former president via the media for a tour of the Port Harcourt and Warri refineries.

The corporation’s invitation followed an interview on Channels Television on Thursday, during which the ex-president recounted failed efforts to privatise oil plants in the country.

Obasanjo had expressed disappointment over the mismanagement of the nation’s refineries, noting that despite significant expenditure since 2007, no results had been achieved.

He explained that his successor, Musa Yar’Adua, rejected a $750m offer from the Chairman of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, to manage the Port Harcourt and Kaduna refineries.

According to Obasanjo, the NNPCL was aware of its limitations in managing the nation’s refineries but informed Yar’Adua that the corporation could operate them, leading to the rejection of Dangote’s offer.

He said, “When I was president, I wanted to do something about the three refineries we have: Port Harcourt, Warri, and Kaduna. Aliko got a team together after I asked Shell to come and run it for us. And Shell said they wouldn’t. I said, ‘Please come and take equity’, they said no. I said, ‘Okay, don’t take equity, come and run it’, they said no.

“Aliko got a team together and they paid $750m to take part in PPP (Public–Private Partnership) in running the refineries. My successor refunded their money, and I went to my successor; I told him what transpired; he said NNPC said they wanted the refinery and they could run it, and I said, ‘But you know they cannot run it.”

Obasanjo added, “But I was told not too long ago that since that time, more than $2bn had been squandered on the refineries, and they still would not work.”

He stressed that if a company like Shell rejected his offer to manage the refineries based on their reasons, he would believe the company.

The former president expressed confidence in Dangote’s ability to manage his privately owned refinery effectively, contrasting it with the government’s inefficiency.

In response, the NNPCL spokesperson Femi Soneye insisted that the refineries were working. Soneye had explained that the NNPCL had not only carried out turnaround maintenance on the plants but also embarked on a complete overhaul of the refineries to meet world-class standards.

He said, “We extend an open invitation to former President Obasanjo for a tour of the rehabilitated refineries to witness firsthand the progress made under the new NNPC Limited.”

Recall that Obasanjo made his remark after the Group Chief Executive Officer of the NNPCL, Mele Kyari, had announced that the Port Harcourt refinery had officially commenced crude oil processing on November 26.

Ad

X whatsapp