Prince Harry, Meghan Lose ‘Privacy’ Legal Battle With Daily Mail

Related stories

Kenneth Okonkwo Slams Okpebholo for Threatening Peter Obi

By Abiola Olawale Nollywood actor and politician, Kenneth Okonkwo has...

Babangida’s Son Accepts Tinubu’s Appointment as BoA Chairman, Denies Rejection Rumors

By Abiola Olawale  Mohammed Babangida, son of former Nigerian military...

Alleged N80.2bn Fraud: Court Throws Out Yahaya Bello’s Travel Request

By Abiola Olawale The Federal High Court, Abuja, has rejected...

“Stay Away from National Assembly,” Senate warns Natasha

By Abiola Olawale The Nigerian Senate has issued a s...

Awujale’s burial and Aso Rock’s graveyard politics By Festus Adedayo

By Festus Adedayo “Why should I bother myself with what...

The Duchess of Sussex has lost the first round in her legal fight with Associated Newspapers.

She dragged the Mail on Sunday and Mail Online to court over alleged breached of privacy after they published excerpts from private correspondence between her and her estranged father, Thomas Markle.

However, on Friday, 1 May, Mr. Justice Warby ruled against the Duchess and her husband, Prince Harry, who had claimed the newspaper had acted dishonestly.

​The judge ruled it was “irrelevant.”

He added that “Such issues are assessed objectively. The claimant’s arguments that motive and state of mind are among the circumstances to be considered are contrary to Campbell v MGN Ltd (the legal precedent involving supermodel Naomi Campbell).”

The Duchess was outraged when the Mail on Sunday published an article in February 2019.

It was published under the headline: “Revealed, the letter showing true tragedy of Meghan’s rift with a father she says has ‘broken her heart into a million pieces’.”

At a hearing on 24 April Associated Newspapers’ lawyer, Anthony White QC, had asked the judge to dismiss two aspects of the Duchess’s claim – that the newspaper had acted with “dishonesty” and “malice” in the way it had edited the excerpts and that the publication of the letter excerpts should be considered in the light of nine other articles which were “generally unfavourable to the defendant as one of those tabloid newspapers which had been deliberately seeking to dig or stir up issues between her and her father.”

The Duchess, 38, is seeking compensation under Article 82 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and section 168 of the Data Protection Act 2018.

The Mail Online claimed the letters “revealed she is a ‘narcissistic showman whose self-control is wavering’.”

Meghan Markle married Prince Harry in May 2018 and the couple had a son, Archie, last year but they have consistently complained about British tabloid media intrusion into their private lives and decided recently to move to the US and eschew their royal duties.

As part of the lawsuit, she has launched against Associated Newspapers, the Duchess is demanding all copies of the letter she wrote to her father.

In the hearing on 24 April, Mr Sherborne said the Mail had “harassed and humiliated” Mr Markle, who is 75, and “exposed him as a royal scammer” and then manipulated “this vulnerable man” to get hold of the letter.

Mr White said there had been no dishonesty on the part of the journalist, Caroline Graham – the Mail on Sunday’s US editor, and there was no proof anyone else at the Mail had acted dishonestly.

(Sputnik/NAN)

Hamilton Nwosa
Hamilton Nwosa
Hamilton Nwosa is an experienced, and committed communication, business, administrative, data and research specialist . His deep knowledge of the intersection between communication, business, data, and journalism are quite profound. His passion for professional excellence remains the guiding principle of his work, and in the course of his career spanning sectors such as administration, tourism, business management, communication and journalism, Hamilton has won key awards. He is a delightful writer, researcher and data analyst. He loves team-work, problem-solving, organizational management, communication strategy, and enjoys travelling. He can be reached at: hamilton_68@yahoo.com

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

NDN
Latest News
Babangida's Son Accepts Tinubu’s Appointment as BoA Chairman, Denies Rejection RumorsAlleged N80.2bn Fraud: Court Throws Out Yahaya Bello's Travel Request"Stay Away from National Assembly," Senate warns NatashaAwujale’s burial and Aso Rock’s graveyard politics By Festus AdedayoThree deaths: Gainers and losers By Bolanle BOLAWOLE(VIDEO) Applause as Billionaire Business Icon, Leemon Ikpea's State-of-the-art Medical Facility in Ewatto, Nears Completion Before you accept his proposal, By Funke EgbemodeOil Price Volatility and Higher Valuations Cause M&A Activity to SlowDrama as UNIMAID ASUU Opposes Tinubu, Vows To Contest Renaming of Varsity After Late BuhariFalana Lashes Okpebholo, Warns: "Withdraw Your Statement, Apologize to Obi immediately."NDDC's N6 trillion: SERAP Drags Tinubu to Court Over Non-Release of Forensic Audit ReportFears Soars As PDP Confirms Assassination Attempt on Anambra Gov Candidate, EzenwaforBreakdown as FAAC Disburses N1.818 Trillion in June 2025 2027: Osun Senator, Fadeyi Dumps PDP, Amid Adeleke's Defection SpeculationsRanked: The 40 Countries With the Best Culture and Heritage
X whatsapp