Plea Bargain Deal: Freedom For Emefiele, ex-CBN Governor, As Nigeria’s AGF Signs Non-Prosecution Agreement Hinging On Return Of N50bn

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

U.S. Crude Stocks Fall Another 2.4 Million Barrels

Crude oil inventories in the United States decreased by 2.4 million barrels during the week ending August 22, after falling 6 million barrels in the week prior, according to new data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) released on Wednesday. The build brings commercial stockpiles to 418.3 million barrels according to government data, which…

NASA Chief, Experts Hail SpaceX as its Starship nails key test flight after fiery failures

By Obinna Uballa SpaceX's major win on Tuesday as its big Starship rocket successfully completed a critical test flight, marking a turnaround after a string of explosive setbacks earlier in the year, has elicited reactions, reports said. Experts have reportedly hailed the move as groundbreaking. The more-than-400-foot rocket, central to SpaceX’s commercial ambitions and NASA’s…

Ad

By Louis Achi

Detained ex-Central Bank of Nigeria Governor Godwin Emefiele will soon smile to freedom following his yet to be concluded plea bargain deal with Nigeria’s Attorney General.

This development, TheNewDiplomat gathered, will be contingent on Emefiele returning the princely sum of N50 billion to the kitty of the federal government.

The former CBN Governor has been the unwilling guest of the Department of State Services (DSS), a course ordered by President Tinubu shortly after assuming office.

TheNewDiplomat gleaned that the Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), Lateef Fagbemi, has signed the non-prosecution plea bargain and it is waiting for Tinubu’s approval.

Tinubu returned to Nigeria, Friday night, after attending the 78th session of the United Nations General Assembly, UNGA-78, held in the US. He also stopped over in France on a speculated medical rest.

Emefiele had faced 20 counts of conspiracy and procurement fraud levelled against him by the federal government. He was brought to court under tight security on August 17, 2023.

It could be recalled that the fundamental rights enforcement suit filed against the DSS and the AGF at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) by two brothers of Emefiele had been withdrawn.

Ad

X whatsapp