2,600 people killed in Benue attacks in one year – Amnesty International

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

About 2,600 persons, mostly women and children, were killed following attacks on 50 Benue communities between January 2023 and February 2024, Amnesty International says.

Amnesty International Programme Director Barbara Magaji disclosed this during a photo exhibition and news conference on Wednesday in Makurdi.

Mrs Magaji further said 18 out of the 23 local government areas (LGAs) in the state, were constantly under security threats by armed attackers.

“These attacks are significantly affecting food security and livelihoods because the affected communities are farmers, and displacement makes them unable to carry out any farming activity.

“These displacements are having significant and adverse effects on the right to livelihoods, and depriving thousands of children of the right to education and development.

“As of March 2023 when the last counting and documentation was done, the Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camps and host communities accommodated a total of 489,245 IDPs,” Mrs Magaji said.

She further quoted the state’s Ministry of Education and the Teaching Service Board as saying that at least 55 schools had been destroyed by armed bandits or closed down due to insecurity, leaving hundreds of children out of school.

She stressed the need for Nigerian authorities to end the attacks in Benue so as to protect lives.

She maintained that governments at all levels must ensure that these attacks were investigated and justice given to victims and their families.

“Nigerian authorities must ensure that suspected perpetrators of human rights abuses are brought to justice through fair trial.

“Nigerian authorities must investigate the security lapses that enabled gunmen to carry out attacks and get away with it.

“People who are displaced must be provided with adequate humanitarian support, standard of living and children’s education must be continued,” Mrs Magaji said.

Meanwhile, in his goodwill message, the Commanding Officer of the 72 Special Forces Battalion, R.B. Kefas, who was represented by Danjuma Abba, stated that criminality had been curtailed in all the crisis-prone areas, promising that the efforts would be sustained.

Also, the state’s Commissioner of Police, Steve Yabanet, who was represented by the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Okon Asuquo, said that the police were working round the clock to reduce criminality to the barest minimum in the state.

(NAN)

 

Ad

X whatsapp