Osun Communal Clashes: Gov Ademola Adeleke Imposes Curfew In Two LGAs

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Departs Brazil for Nigeria After State Visit

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has concluded a three-day state visit to Brazil, departing the country for Abuja on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. The New Diplomat reports that the presidential jet took off from Brasília International Airport Air Force Base, with a ceremonial send-off attended by Brazil’s Secretary for Africa and the Middle…

President’s son jailed 6 years in fraud case as power tussle soars in Equatorial Guinea

• Two brothers at war over who succeeds Nguema Mbasogo By Obinna Uballa An Equatorial Guinea court has sentenced Ruslan Obiang Nsue, son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, to six years in prison for illegally selling a plane belonging to the state airline, Ceiba Intercontinental, a case analysts say reflects growing rivalry within the…

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

Ad

By Ken Afor

Following ongoing inter-communal clashes that have resulted in the loss of lives and property, the Osun State Government has ordered a 24-hour curfew in the Ifon and Ilobu communities of the state with immediate effect.

The curfew, according to Governor Ademola Adeleke’s statement through the Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment Kolapo Alimi, was implemented to prevent further lawlessness in the formerly “peaceful and law-abiding” communities.

His words: “To maintain a lasting peace and order pending when the issues at hand would be amicably resolved, Governor Ademola Adeleke in his executive capacity as the Chief Security Officer of the State, has ordered the immediate take over of the disputed lands/areas by his administration.”

In addition, the state government imposed strict restrictions on both vehicular and pedestrian movement in the affected areas and communities.

“Accordingly, officers of the Joint Security Task Force comprising the Nigerian Army, Police and Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps have been directed by His Excellency, to be on a 24 hour surveillance of the two communities with a view to ensuring a lasting peace,” it added.

It would be recalled that on Thursday, about eight people were reportedly killed following a fracas between the people of Ilobu and Ifon communities in Osun.

It was gathered that those killed were said to have been hit by stray bullets fired by the security operatives deployed to the affected communities, following the resumption of hostilities.

Prior to Friday’s curfew, the state government had previously imposed a 24-hour restriction of movement between the two communities.

Ad

X whatsapp