Olubadan Dispatches Delegation To Cotonou Over Igboho’s Trial

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Why Guinea-Bissau Coup is More Painful Than 2015 Election Loss– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has described the recent military coup in Guinea-Bissau, which halted a nearly completed electoral process, as a deeper personal blow than his own 2015 presidential election defeat. ​In a statement following his evacuation from the West African nation where he was serving as an election observer, Jonathan…

Just In: APC Disowns Goodluck Jonathan Amid 2023 Antics

Kano Govt Demands Immediate Arrest of Ex-Governor Ganduje Over Security Comments

By Abiola Olawale The Kano State Executive Council has called for the immediate investigation and arrest of the former Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, following what it describes as "inciting and reckless" public comments concerning the state's security situation. The demand, raised after a State Executive Council meeting on Thursday, accused the former governor of…

(VIDEO) Obasanjo backs foreign intervention as insecurity worsens, slams FG’s approach

By Obinna Uballa Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has called on the Federal Government to halt all negotiations with terrorists and seek international assistance to tackle Nigeria’s worsening insecurity. Obasanjo issued the warning on Friday while speaking at the Plateau State Unity Christmas Carol and Praise Festival in Jos, amid a wave of killings and mass…

Ad

Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Saliu Adetunji, has dispatched a delegation to Cotonou, Republic of Benin, to observe court proceedings in the case involving Yoruba Nation agitator, Chief Sunday Adeyemo, also known as Sunday Igboho.

Director of Media and Publicity to the Olubadan, Alade Oloko, made this known in a statement issued on Sunday in Ibadan.

Oloko quoted the royal father as stating this in his palace while exchanging views with leaders of Central Council of Ibadan Indigenes (CCII), led by the President-General, Yemisi Adeaga.

The Oba, who did not disclose the identity of members of the delegation, said that they would be in court in Cotonou on Monday to observe Igboho’s trial.

He said that the step taken had become necessary in order to assure those who had been besieging his palace, including protesters, that he was not folding his arms over the travails of Igboho and his aides.

“Sunday Igboho lives in Ibadan, got married in Ibadan, reared his children in Ibadan, built houses in Ibadan and, as such, he has the rights to be protected by Ibadan traditional institution within the ambit of the law, just like any other resident of the city,” he said.

He added that he would not allow the “repeat performance of Yoruba-Fulani coalition of 1814”.

“Students of Nigeria history may wish to be reminded that when some people during the period under reference chose to engage in territorial expansion to the sea, it took the Ibadan army under Balogun Oderinlo to repel the attack and stop the incursion near Osogbo,” urging people to remain calm and be law- abiding, stressing that truth would prevail.

Ad

X whatsapp