Oil Prices Plunge On Persistent Uncertainty Over OPEC+ Supply Cuts

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Ken Afor

After initially increasing on Monday, oil futures shifted direction due to persistent anxiety concerning the OPEC+ decision and apprehension about the possible expansion of global fuel demand.

Nevertheless, the threat of supply disruption resulting from the Middle Eastern tensions did restrict the size of the declines.

At 0406 GMT, Brent crude futures had dropped 0.6% (or 49 cents) to $78.39 per barrel, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude futures had fallen 0.6% (or 42 cents) to $73.65 per barrel.

“Crude seems to be under continued pressure from the OPEC+ decision. Some degree of discounting of the deeper OPEC+ cuts is justified, but as of now, the crude complex has completely disregarded them,” said Vandana Hari, founder of oil market analysis provider Vanda Insights.

Last week, due to lack of faith from investors with regards to the magnitude of reductions in supply by the OPEC+ (comprising Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and Russia), and worries about the tortoise-like progress of worldwide industrial production, oil prices dropped by over 2%.

Investors were uncertain about the voluntary OPEC+ cuts declared on Thursday as to whether or not they would be followed through on and how they would be monitored.

Investors’ attention was directed not only to the geopolitical situation, but also to the recent upsurge of fighting in Gaza.

On Sunday, the US military confirmed that three commercial vessels had been attacked in the southern Red Sea, with Yemen’s Houthi group claiming drone and ballistic missile strikes against two Israeli vessels in the area.

Oil prices received a bullish boost due to the resurgence of the Israel-Hamas war, according to CMC Markets analyst Tina Teng.

“However, oil prices may continue to be under pressure for the time being due to China’s disappointing economic recovery and the ramp-up of U.S. production,” Teng said.

U.S. oil rigs rose five to 505 this week, their highest since September, energy services firm Baker Hughes (BKR.O) said in its closely followed report on Friday.

Western countries have increased their efforts to guarantee the $60 a barrel price ceiling on sea-borne exports of Russian oil to reprimand Moscow for its involvement in the Ukraine war.

On Friday, Washington brought additional sanctions upon three separate entities and three oil tankers.

On Friday, the White House announced they were ready to put a ‘pause’ on sanctions relief for OPEC member Venezuela in the near future, unless there were more developments on the releasing of Venezuelan political prisoners as well as the ‘wrongfully detained’ Americans.

Despite this, India has resumed buying Venezuelan oil.

Ad

X whatsapp