Obasa: Assembly Beefs Up Security, Demands Valid IDs From Legislative Staff Ahead Of Today’s Plenary

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Kolawole Ojebisi

Security has been beefed up in and around the Lagos State House of Assembly Complex ahead of the legislative plenary scheduled to hold today (Monday).

This, and many other measures, have been taken to prevent a break down of law and order and ensure seamless conduct of legislative duties by the lawmakers, according to reports.

In a notice issued from the acting Clerk’s office on Sunday, staff members and legislative aides were advised to come to the complex with a means of identification.

The notice said anyone without a valid ID would be denied entry into the assembly premises.

“Regarding management directives, all staff members and legislative aides must present valid identity cards to access the House premises. Please remember that entry will be denied to anyone without a valid identity card,” the short notice read.

These measures may not be unconnected with the speculations that there might be a showdown at the House as the former Speaker, Mudashiru Obasa, on Saturday claimed he remained the Speaker of the House.

Recall that Obasa was removed by the majority of House members on January 13, 2025, following allegations of misconduct and financial misappropriation.

He was subsequently replaced by the Deputy Speaker, Mojisola Meranda.

Today’s plenary will be the third session presided over by Meranda since Obasa’s removal, with the former speaker absent at the last two sittings.

Speaking on Saturday, Obasa who had been outside Lagos since the saga at the House, said he still remained the speaker, and asked the lawmakers to follow the “right way” to remove him from office.

The former speaker also denied the allegations of corruption brought against him by the lawmakers during his removal, describing the alleged financial misappropriations as “impossible.”

Responding to questions from newsmen shortly after he addressed his supporters, Obasa insisted that he remained the Speaker.

“My status in the house? I believe strongly I am still the speaker until the right thing has been done. If you want to remove me, remove me the proper way and I will not contest it.

“I’m a Muslim and I believe in fate. But let’s do it the way it should be done.”

When asked if a legal battle was in the offing, Obasa responded, “You will know. It’s a matter of time.”

Obasa also spoke to a huge crowd of supporters at the Speaker’s Lodge, 47, GRA Ikeja Lagos.

He said, “I thank you for your support and dedication. I will take this advantage to debunk the allegations that were circulated and raised about me

“Is it possible to construct an ordinary gate with N16 billion? It is not the wall of Jericho or the wall that demarcated the United States of America and Mexico.

“How can they say we bought one Hilux bus for N1 billion each and that we bought 40 pieces for N40 billion? I am not disturbed or perturbed and I am not afraid. I will debunk all the allegations levelled against me by the House.

“I have not done anything wrong. I have been a lawmaker for over two decades and I am the longest-serving lawmaker in the House.”

Ad

X whatsapp