Oba Of Benin Says Integrity Of EFCC’s Anti-graft Fight Is Compromised

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

U.S. Crude Stocks Fall Another 2.4 Million Barrels

Crude oil inventories in the United States decreased by 2.4 million barrels during the week ending August 22, after falling 6 million barrels in the week prior, according to new data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) released on Wednesday. The build brings commercial stockpiles to 418.3 million barrels according to government data, which…

NASA Chief, Experts Hail SpaceX as its Starship nails key test flight after fiery failures

By Obinna Uballa SpaceX's major win on Tuesday as its big Starship rocket successfully completed a critical test flight, marking a turnaround after a string of explosive setbacks earlier in the year, has elicited reactions, reports said. Experts have reportedly hailed the move as groundbreaking. The more-than-400-foot rocket, central to SpaceX’s commercial ambitions and NASA’s…

Ad

By Joel Okwara

The Oba of Benin, Ewuare II, has alleged that some operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have compromised the integrity of the anti-graft fight.

The monarch made the assertion when he received the new Benin Zonal Director of the EFCC, Effa Okim, in his Palace in Benin on Monday, May 20.

He cited a case involving unnamed former palace officials, who were left off the hook after they were arrested for fraud and handed over to EFCC in Benin for investigation and prosecution.

The Oba alleged that some EFCC operatives handled the case shoddily, which led to the release of the culprits a few years ago.

As reported by The Conclave, the monarch, who did not name the palace officials, expressed shock that the EFCC investigators allegedly swept glaring evidence of fraud against them (the palace officials) under the carpet.

While tasking the commission to fight crime without fear or favour, the Oba added: “We want to draw your attention to one or two grey areas in your operations.

“No matter how much you try to support the EFFC from the palace, it is very difficult because they seem to listen to other parties. What I have been told is that they take instructions from the highest bidder.

“You know that I have been known for speaking the truth. I was not happy about certain things that happened with your predecessor. We get news from everywhere. We try to assist the EFCC. I even wrote a letter to the then-chairman, who was removed from office. I even sent an emissary to talk to him regarding certain elements in Edo State, particularly the palace.

“How can EFCC operatives, especially the lady, who handled the case I cited earlier, behave like that? If I was asked to comment on her performance, I would score her zero. I do not know if she was doing an EFCC job or just dancing to the tunes of people who were (allegedly) giving her money.

“At the time we were trying to assist EFCC, the report we kept getting was negative, and I was not happy about it,” Oba Ewuare II added. (Additional report from Info Daily)

Ad

X whatsapp